Coconut Pulp/Cocofeed

Just as a small note of caution, I don't see anything wrong with adding some coconut to your feed (bet the oil is good for them as well), but I wouldn't try to use it as anything other than an additive.

The folks that are using coconut as feed are using the pulp without the oil for good reason. Nearly 80% of the caloric content of coconut is the oil. What's left is about 4% protein and 17% carbohydrates. In large quantities, this ratio is very much out of balance for chickens.

Now, considering just that 4% and 17% without the oil... that's in just about perfect proportions for chicken feed. That's right around 18% protein, which is like grower ration.

And thanks for the reference to Azure Standard. They've got some really great stuff at decent prices!

HI , could you tell me what kind of feed you give your chickens. I have been wanting to feed mine natural food and not commercial pellets. I am new at this...any suggestons?

Just as a small note of caution, I don't see anything wrong with adding some coconut to your feed (bet the oil is good for them as well), but I wouldn't try to use it as anything other than an additive.

The folks that are using coconut as feed are using the pulp without the oil for good reason. Nearly 80% of the caloric content of coconut is the oil. What's left is about 4% protein and 17% carbohydrates. In large quantities, this ratio is very much out of balance for chickens.

Now, considering just that 4% and 17% without the oil... that's in just about perfect proportions for chicken feed. That's right around 18% protein, which is like grower ration.

And thanks for the reference to Azure Standard. They've got some really great stuff at decent prices!

I live in Thailand and can get coconut pulp (from the guys that make coconut milk) pretty cheap (about 7 cents a kg) so i was wondering if i mixed it with the layer feed what % would you suggest?

If it were me, I would feed it in a separate dish/feeder. I guess experiment based on hoe quickly they eat the first batch. I don't know if free choice would be too much or not, but I would be tempted to try it.

I started doing fermented feed using rice bran, coconut pulp, and the layer feed.

No matter what % of each i try they eat it all like starving rats. They eat so much they have bulging crops like a they have a goider and still act like they are starving.

I was trying to figure out a good mix to keep them laying the most eggs but the weather has been so hot there is no way for me to know if it is the weather or the food.

I just came across your post- years too late maybe. I get coconut pulp in bulk from a local who makes her own coconut oil. I have it coming out of my ears. I freeze it...My suggestion, find some islanders- regardless of the island. Begin to ask around about who makes their own oils, then ask for the pulp. My hook up was struggling to find someone to take hers off her hands and she didn't want it to go to waste! Also, coconut shells make for great bbq bricks. they burn really hot and long...so adjust times and height of grate based upon that info. Also, once you make a connection, another will pop up...I've hooked up a few friends with coconut sources :)

Just found this post and thought I would share this information with you all:
Cocofeed does contain wheat. Here's the e-mail I got back:

Thank you for contacting Tropical Traditions! I have the following information to share with you and will research your question further for more information.

Cocofeed is an organic chicken-feed ration developed by Tropical Traditions that contains coconut pulp as well as other high-quality natural ingredients. The coconut pulp is the residue left over after coconut oil has been extracted from the coconut meat. Cocofeed contains NO soy.

The ingredients in Cocofeed are:

Aragonite
Coconut Pulp
Corn Grain Shell
Crab Meal
Fish Meal
Peas
Wheat

ALL of these components are 100% organic (which means among other things NO GMO ingredients). Aragonite is a naturally occurring calcium carbonate, which is derived from seashell flour. It is used as a source of calcium for the chickens. The crab meal is from real crabs. You can read more here: http://www.grassfedtraditions.com/pastured_poultry.htm and here: http://www.cocofeed.com/cocofeed.htm

I grow coconuts on the farm, just a couple of acres, maybe 400 trees. They were all there when I bought the place but have been planting more. Once a month a company comes down from the city and buys everthing. I like it, no work. They bring their own workers, own ladders. All I have to do is go out when they are done and count how many they took, and get paid.

When we work, usually around 10 in the morn when the sun really starts to lick me and the boys take a coconut break. Chop some up, there is nothing as refreshing as coconut water right out of the nut. After we are done all the drained coconuts are left on the ground and I did notice the the free rangers like to peck out all the coco meat. A coco for water is younger so the meat is not what you are used to. Its not dry, it is more like jelly. Anyways I've seen that the birds like it but had never thought about making it part of their real diet. Have to do some research on this.

Back
Top Bottom