Cold chickens.....when to use heat lamp?

Yes sneekee if you feed your chickens ice cubes you will find their eggs will be cubed as well (the ones that survive). There will be no need for egg cartons as such as you will be able to pack them in a boxes layer upon layer. Let me know how this new transformation works for you.

I all ready know what works for me in my set up. Just sharing my experience. Some people pamper their birds when not required. Heat Lamps fall, bulbs explode, get knocked down by flapping birds, dust and debris may collect on the lamp. No one deliberately plans to burn down their coop. Play it safe and let birds be birds not incubated infants.

I will predict you will read post about coops burning down due to heat lamps or poorly wired water deicers this winter.

"Stupid NOT Necessary!"

Last edited:
Yes sneekee if you feed your chickens ice cubes you will find their eggs will be cubed as well (the ones that survive). There will be no need for egg cartons as such as you will be able to pack them in a boxes layer upon layer. Let me know how this new transformation works for you.

I all ready know what works for me in my set up. Just sharing my experience. Some people pamper their birds when not required. Heat Lamps fall, bulbs explode, get knocked down by flapping birds, dust and debris may collect on the lamp. No one deliberately plans to burn down their coop. Play it safe and let birds be birds not incubated infants.

I will predict you will read post about coops burning down due to heat lamps or poorly wired water deicers this winter.

"Stupid NOT Necessary!"
Here in northern Ontario, where we get real winters, some sort of supplemental heat is really a must if you have a small backyard chicken coop. Maybe a huge chicken barn with hundreds of birds wouldn't need a lamp, but I'm sure my six hens appreciate liquid water and a temperature a few degrees warmer then -25C. I don't think heating the coop to around -20C is making my chickens incubated infants.

Last edited:
I keep my chickens in the coop all winter. I am in Hagersville, Ontario Canada. I only turn the heat lamp on at night. They go outside on there own during the day. If they are cold they hang out in the chicken coop.

Charlotte

I know my hens appreciate the warm water and coop. I only have 5 now. But they go out during the day on their own. I am in Hagersville, Ontario.

Charlotte

I have a pretty big/long coop and I have 2 brooder lamps and a heated water dispenser. The birds can huddle near a heat source if they wish during extremely cold temps. Not having a heated water container would not be an option for me since the coop is a few hundred feet from the house. Full time access to water is something that my birds and livestock must have! I run lamps about 3 months of the year and my egg production is high year round. Whether you heat or don't heat be sure to keep the cold windsdrafts off your birds in the coop!!

Leaf through the old book in the link below. On pg 24, read about people keeping chickens in an open air, unheated and uninsulated Wood's style coop, in Canada with the temps at -40F. They had cold weather back then too. It was done that way, and still can be.
Jack

http://archive.org/stream/openairpoultryho00wood#page/n0/mode/2up
WOW!
ep.gif
I've never heard of that before.

Back
Top Bottom