Cold chickens.....when to use heat lamp?

I used to strongly believe in heat lamps, I even posted in this thread about it, but this winter I decided to keep an open mind and see how my chickens would do without heat in the coop. Right now, it's -13C and it has been getting down to -20C at night and my hens are fine! There is even frost on the inside of the metals walls on the coop but they are as comfortable as ever. Even my barred rock hen who is moulting is fine. Now I'm really glad I'm not using a lamp! As an added bonus, the pooh is freezing solid, preventing dirty eggs.

I used to strongly believe in heat lamps, I even posted in this thread about it, but this winter I decided to keep an open mind and see how my chickens would do without heat in the coop. Right now, it's -13C and it has been getting down to -20C at night and my hens are fine! There is even frost on the inside of the metals walls on the coop but they are as comfortable as ever. Even my barred rock hen who is moulting is fine. Now I'm really glad I'm not using a lamp! As an added bonus, the pooh is freezing solid, preventing dirty eggs.
Hey i wouldn't worry about down to 0f -18c, either, you in Southern Ontario or a more tolerable temp range area, you people in the more temperate climates, temps down the 0f range, most likely don't need any heat. your day time range, solar warmth, most likely allows things to jump up quite a bit higher.
Frozen crap less smell and mess for sure.......LOL
The point is extreme temps very sub zero temps may mitigate different approaches, everyone must decide which way to go on this topic.

If your winters 'freeze', you just need to keep their water from freezing.

If your winters 'freeze', you just need to keep their water from freezing.
Listen here from Grandmaville, there is freeze, and there is freeze to extreme, 32f freezing point, and -30f, those 62 degrees are whole different story.
What do you define as freeze, a little ice on the pond, or a lake with 3-4 feet of ice....................LOL

Listen here from Grandmaville, there is freeze, and there is freeze to extreme, 32f freezing point, and -30f, those 62 degrees are whole different story.
What do you define as freeze, a little ice on the pond, or a lake with 3-4 feet of ice....................LOL

I do not heat in my climate and I experience a cold snap of -40º or lower from time to time with no issues. That does not make me an expert on Polar Arctic Conditions that Rooster Rules deals with for long stretches at a time.

I believe that Rooster can tell when his birds are stress and gives them extra heat to ward off what he sees as trouble. Canadians have an advantage in that situation compared to our US counterparts.

If your birds are docile, silent, inactive, fluffed up continually on the perch or floor you know something is wrong or at least I do. That is when I put my bird(s) into isolation or sick bay for added TLC.

These are the same symptoms they display anytime of year when something is wrong. If you have been experiencing -40º for weeks and following your winter feed and water program as normal it does not take a genius to know what the trouble maybe if most of the flock is acting in the same manner.

Keep doing what is right for you Rooster and the health of your flock I believe my methods could change if in your situation.

Last edited:
I do not heat in my climate and I experience a cold snap of -40º or lower from time to time with no issues. That does not make me an expert on Polar Arctic Conditions that Rooster Rules deals with for long stretches at a time.

I believe that Rooster can tell when his birds are stress and gives them extra heat to ward off what he sees as trouble. Canadians have an advantage in that situation compared to our US counterparts.

If your birds are docile, silent, inactive, fluffed up continually on the perch or floor you know something is wrong or at least I do. That is when I put my bird(s) into isolation or sick bay for added TLC.

These are the same symptoms they display anytime of year when something is wrong. If you have been experiencing -40º for weeks and following your winter feed and water program as normal it does not take a genius to know what the trouble maybe if most of the flock is acting in the same manner.

Keep doing what is right for you Rooster and the health of your flock I believe my methods could change if in your situation.
What exactly do you do when a bird starts acting a little lethargic? electrolytes? ACV?

What exactly do you do when a bird starts acting a little lethargic? electrolytes? ACV?

Depends....

Usually, just make sure it has food and water, if it is getting picked on, I will separate it for a few days too....often that is all they need. but I don't coddle my birds, they are pets, but they have to work, or I eat them.

What exactly do you do when a bird starts acting a little lethargic? electrolytes? ACV? Yes those can definitely give the bird a needed boost.

First I take into account how old the bird is and if it would taste good with dumplings or will it be used as pet food.
Most times it is a social issue in the pecking order that has inflicted injuries to the one at the bottom of the totem pole.
I isolate the bird for a time to heal and hopefully with maybe a minor shake up in the flock things will be back to order.

I have stitched up an esophagus and crazy glued gashes back together but on worst case scenario I cull it.
I am not about to spend a dollar trying to save 10¢
Anytime a hen hits 4 years old it is getting closer to the stew pot in my operation (I have a few birds that are exempt).
However it is done gradually with new chicks in place first as to not upset the grand daughters.

I always buy a dual purpose birds.

When I can get them these birds are head and shoulder above any and are polar bears when it comes to the cold.

They are not the best egg layers but they are the BEST dual purpose bird and can handle cold extremely well.
Check out the link on the 100% Canadian bred Chantecler chicken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chantecler_(chicken)

Chantecler

A White Chantecler rooster, taken at the Abbey of Notre-Dame du Lac in 1926. Today's Chanteclers have much smaller wattles.​

Last edited:
We're dropping down to -20 tonight. I have a few non-winter chickens; should I chance it and see how they fare or bring them the heatlamp? They didn't seem to have an issue with -15 so I'm on the fence.

Yeah, I just went to check on them. They all seemed fine but I was actually freezing in there (normally the coop is considerably warmer than the outside) and there was frost growing on the ends of the shingle nails that poke through the front wall (only two walls and half the ceiling are insulated). So, I broke down and gave them their 175 watt red lamp. It's only -11 right now but morning is supposed to be -18. The lamp I have won't turn the coop into a sauna or anything, just take the edge off the chill.

Back
Top Bottom