Cold Climate Coop - planning ahead

Aetheria1923

Hatching
Apr 6, 2017
I'm getting my chicken on! Again. After a 7 year moving-all-over hiatus. I was just about to start rebuilding the same coop design I had before but I'm realizing I need to deal with the climate differences in the new location. I live in the high mountain desert of New Mexico. Now I know, that brings visions of Wyl-E-Coyote n roadrunners, but actually this is at 8600 feet above sea level, sandwiched between ski valleys, near the Colorado border. I'm surrounded by mountains, we get a LOT of snow in the winter and it gets COLD. Twenty below is common at night, for at least 2 months out of the year.

So I understand the 4 square feet per bird in the coop idea, but I wonder if they should be more tightly packed on the roosts to make best use of body heat? The coop I had previously had a fully enclosed run UNDER the body of the coop for those days that I couldnt get to them early. They free range all day after I do open the coop.

Hopefully you guys can help me with info and advice on how to keep my girls warm in this crazy environment. Heat lamps? Space per bird in the coop/space between roosting rails? Size of laying boxes a factor too? My gang are Rhode Island Reds, Austrolorpes, and Barred Rocks. All help appreciated!!

~Leah

Well we don't get quite as cold consistently as you here in SW Wyoming. We are at about 6500 feet.

I am pretty new at this also but from my research the chickens are pretty hardy and can withstand the weather if the coop is built right. Ventilation is key so you keep the moisture down to prevent frostbite. I would install a Min/Max reading thermometer to you can tell how hot or cold the temp is getting is the coop and reset it regularly.

Use the readings you get from that to determine of you need to add supplemental heat.

Back
Top Bottom