Color genetics thread.

I bred my Salmon Faverolle roo to my blue Brahma hen and got three black and one blue chicks. All of them have extra toes and the muff feathering of the Faverolle and color from the hen. I'm going to breed them back. I want to make a LF blue or black feathered and bearded chicken. Will the extra toes be a draw-back?

Last edited:
I bred my Salmon Faverolle roo to my blue Brahma hen and got three black and one blue chicks. All of them have extra toes and the muff feathering of the Faverolle yet color from the hen. I'm going to breed them back. What will I get? I want to make a LF blue or black feathered and bearded chicken. Will the extra toes be a draw-back?

That hen is not a Brahma. She looks like a Cochin. Her extended black pattern is dominant to the very recessive wheaten genes of the Faverolle. The Faverolle's white skin is dominant over the hen's yellow skin. The majority of second generation birds will likely be solid black/blue, some may develop leakage. The fifth toe is a dominant trait, as are the muffs, feathered legs, and the Blue gene.

Thanks june. She was sold to me as a Brahma. I've been asking this question over different facets of this forum and you were the first to answer and set me straight.

I bred my Salmon Faverolle roo to my blue Brahma hen and got three black and one blue chicks. All of them have extra toes and the muff feathering of the Faverolle and color from the hen. I'm going to breed them back. I want to make a LF blue or black feathered and bearded chicken. Will the extra toes be a draw-back?

What do you mean by breed them back? Are you going to back cross the female offspring to the male parent or backcross a male offspring to the mother? Are you going to cross a male offspring with a female offspring? What you do will determine the outcome of the crosses.

Are you wanting a heavy or a lightly feathered foot? Or no feathers at all on the feet.

What is the skin color of the offspring and the mother?

In the picture, the females comb appears to be a hybrid between a pea comb and single comb breed. Is it possible the female is a cochin x brahma hybrid?

Do you want to breed out the extra toes(polydactyly)?

Do you want a pea comb or a single comb in the bird you want to produce?

Can you list the characteristics you want to be found in the bird you want to produce?

Last edited:
@HayBelly @Wappoke
First off, those are beautiful chickens! I hope your breeding project goes well. Second, what benefit would the extra toe give? Is it sort of the same thing as a hen with spurs?
An extra toe or toes is a characteristic found in certain breeds of chickens for example sumatra . Chickens with an extra toe(s) has an additional toe or toes growing from the area near the first toe (back toe). It is actually a toe that has joints etc.

Does Red Barring exist? If it doesn't, how would one create a Red barred bird?
The barring gene will express on just about any colored bird. The barring gene produces white stripes over the entire bird. It expresses regardless of other pattern/color genes a bird may have. The only thing that can hide barring would be dominant or recessive white, since you can't see white stripes on a white bird.
For example, this hen is silver wild-type partridge, with the barring gene.

I'm actually working on a red barred Easter Egger project, involving the columbian gene.

Back
Top Bottom