Color genetics thread.

Ayyy I haven't been around this thread for some time. I've wrapped my head around the Silver gene. If S/S is silver, and s+/s+ is golden (or wild type), then would S/s+ be the result of incomplete dominance? Like with roses, how the red ones contain the dominant red allele and the white ones contain a recessive white allele but if crossed they produce pink roses?

Would the offspring who have S/s+ be silver with a golden sheen of some sort? And would only males have S/s+?

It's similar to how you describe roses, yes. S/s+ comes out as mostly silver with some golden leakage. A good example to look at are Silver and Golden Duckwings and Black Breasted Reds. Silver Duckwings are S/S. Golden Duckwings are S/s+. BBR are basically Red Duckwings (with red enhancers like Mh) and are s+/s+. If you look at photos of all the above mentioned you will see the differences.

Hello, looking for a bit of advice on the following breeding as I'm still trying to figure out the genetics. This is my guess and looking for conformation that this is what color combos are so I can let my buyers know. /these are being sold as layers

1. Rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over buff orpington hen = buff chicks
2. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over lavender cuckoo = half lavender cuckoo and half lavender
3. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over black = black solid

Is this correct?

thanks

Not quite. The first cross will yield barred buff - basically what people call lemon cuckoo*. The second will yield mostly lavender cuckoos but may yield some birds (particularly cockerel offspring) that more resemble isabel cuckoo depending on how much red leakage is present. Genetically speaking the only difference between isabel cuckoo and lavender cuckoo is that isabel is on a partridge base (i believe it's Partridge anyways) whereas lavender cuckoo is on a plain black base. The third cross will yield all cuckoo* offspring, some may have red leakage.

*The first and third crosses will yield cuckoo offspring however because only one parent is barred all males will be single barred and be darker than a pure cuckoo male of any sort. Pullets will however look the same as one from two cuckoo parents, as females can only ever be single barred.

I'm hoping to get an answer (in layman's terms) to my question, so if anyone can help, please do. My question is this.. I want to make a Silver Laced chicken. I have this breed in Gold Laced & can get another different breed in Silver Laced. If I breed these two colors together, with the first breeding I will get all Silver chicks, with the males hiding Gold Laced, correct? If so, do I breed the offspring back to one of the parent birds or to eachother to get the best results & get rid of the hidden Gold Laced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So, the first thing to know is that the gene you're working with (Silver) is sex linked. This means you will get different results depending on which parent is the silver parent and which is the gold. Basics to know: males can have, at most, two copies of a gold or silver gene. Females, on the other hand, can only have one at the most. While cocks can pass these genes to their sons or daughters, hens can pass them only to their sons. Also, hens can't hide a color - they have just the one gene so they can only be either silver or gold but never split.

If your intital cross is gold cock x silver hen: you will receive 100% silver cockerels and 100% gold pullets. This is known as a red sex linked cross. The cockerels, as you pointed out, will technically be hiding gold; however gold doesn't hide as well as some recessive genes so I'd expect to see some at least some red or gold leakage in the wing bows and saddles of males.

On the other hand, if your initial cross is silver cock x gold hen: you will receive 100% silver offspring. Pullets will be pure silver, as they can have only the one copy of the gene. Cockerels will all be split to gold and likely have red leakage.

As for how to continue from there... that is up to you. Some good, universal advice is simply to breed what has the most of the best and the least of the worst. So any bird which is carrying at least one copy of silver and, more importantly, has the closest type to a good example of the breed you are creating the variety in. Either parent or sibling crosses would be fine for this provided the birds being bred are taking you in the directions of your goals. Some consider sibling crosses a bird more of a wild card but personally I would not worry about it.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get an answer (in layman's terms) to my question, so if anyone can help, please do. My question is this.. I want to make a Silver Laced chicken. I have this breed in Gold Laced & can get another different breed in Silver Laced. If I breed these two colors together, with the first breeding I will get all Silver chicks, with the males hiding Gold Laced, correct? If so, do I breed the offspring back to one of the parent birds or to eachother to get the best results & get rid of the hidden Gold Laced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There is a lot more to a breed than color so you'd have to work on those other features for many generations if you mix breeds.
If color is all you're interested in, then I'll do my best to answer...
To answer your question about color...
1) Silver rooster x Gold hen = 100 silver offspring, males carry gold
2) breed daughters back to roo = 100% silver, no gold carriers
or.......
1) Gold rooster x silver hen = gold daughters and silver sons, sons carry 1 gold
2) silver son x mother = half the daughters will be silver. all the sons will be silver, half the males will carry gold
I personally would not line breed again.

@junebuggena can correct me if I made any mistakes. Junebuggena is so smart with this stuff.

What colors would I get if I bred this buff brahma bantam rooster

With this splash Cochin bantam hen?

Could someone help me out? I am playing around on the Chicken Color Calculator and I am trying to figure out what to plug in for a Partridge Cochin. Thanks!

Could someone help me out? I am playing around on the Chicken Color Calculator and I am trying to figure out what to plug in for a Partridge Cochin. Thanks!
Did you use the "Show Examples" button? If you do, in the center row, 3rd image up from the bottom is multiple laced partridge/brown. I believe that's what you're looking for.

Would it look the same as a splash roo over a buff hen?
Instead of buff roo over splash hen

It's not sex linked, so yes, same results. Mind with the leakage I bet you get the same results as a black x buff cross which almost always results in a very weird bird with more leakage than normal, and tends to end mostly buff on the top 1/3-1/2 and black (blue in this case) on the bottom 1/2-2/3.

What color will I get if I put a Black Frizzled Silkie over a White silkie hen?

Or black frizzled rooster over buff silkie hen?

What about White silkie rooster over buff hen!

Back
Top Bottom