Color genetics thread.

I don't know, it could be possible that your splash hen is Silver based. Not sure in white Cochins if they're Silver based or not.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell unless you isolate the hen and rooster then hatch out their eggs only.

I don't know, it could be possible that your splash hen is Silver based. Not sure in white Cochins if they're Silver based or not.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell unless you isolate the hen and rooster then hatch out their eggs only.

If splashes aren't silver based what are they? Gold based? I don't think it was the white hen. She only started laying a couple days ago.
This is interesting, I thought the only sex linked chicks I could get was with my barred hen.

Here is some info I have gathered from this thread on my buff brahma hen x my blue Cochin roo. This sounds a bit more like the chick I think, could they make sex links?

About 50% will inherit the Blue gene. About 50% may inherit the hen's columbian restrictor, resulting in mostly buff/gold/red coloring. The rest will likely be solid Black or Blue, so, they may have varying amounts of gold/buff leakage.
The pea comb of the Brahma will be dominant over the single comb of the Cochin.
The blue x buff cross will produce blue or black offspring. If your blue carries sex-linked silver, then the offspring may show some white in the plumage, if the male is sex-linked gold then the offspring may show some red in the plumage, The chances are good that they will show some none blue or none black color.

Last edited:
Here is some info I have gathered from this thread on my buff brahma hen x my blue Cochin roo. This sounds a bit more like the chick I think, could they make sex links?

About 50% will inherit the Blue gene. About 50% may inherit the hen's columbian restrictor, resulting in mostly buff/gold/red coloring. The rest will likely be solid Black or Blue, so, they may have varying amounts of gold/buff leakage.
The pea comb of the Brahma will be dominant over the single comb of the Cochin.
The blue x buff cross will produce blue or black offspring. If your blue carries sex-linked silver, then the offspring may show some white in the plumage, if the male is sex-linked gold then the offspring may show some red in the plumage, The chances are good that they will show some none blue or none black color.

If that is the case ( and I'm not disputing it) then that chick is not a sex linked chick. Then it could be either one.

Regardless nice chick.

I have a partridge Cochin, but she was broody I think, a barred Cochin, a mottled Cochin (but I've crossed her with this rooster before and the babies didn't look this way). Ummmm... a white Cochin but I don't think she was laying... a black australorp, a buff brahma hen, the buff Brahms's daughter whose mother is the mottled Cochin... need more?

I also have a blue Cochin rooster, could it have been him and the buff brahma hen?
Pics of the possible parents might help.

Pics of the possible parents might help.

Okay,
The chick has a pea comb so it has to have either a buff brahma mom or a buff brahma dad. (I only have two brahmas and they're both buff. And no other chickens with pea combs) these chickens are all bantams:

Blue Cochin cockerel. He has some gold at the back of his hackle feathers.
And if he was the father this buff brahma bantam hen has to be the mother:

And if this buff brahma rooster was the father:

Then I think either my splash Pullet:

Or my lavender Pullet are the most likely mothers.

Once again, these are all bantams. I'm not sure if that matters.
Also I think the chick has green eyes. The buff brahma rooster had two chicks with green eyes (a male and a female) last year when he was crossed with a mottled Cochin hen.

And here is a picture of the male, light brahma colored chick again.

Last edited:
I know very little about genetics, but am interested in learning more. How would I go about finding out what the potential combinations would be if a Blue Andalusian hen was crossed with a French Black Copper Marans rooster?

Okay,
The chick has a pea comb so it has to have either a buff brahma mom or a buff brahma dad. (I only have two brahmas and they're both buff. And no other chickens with pea combs) these chickens are all bantams:

Blue Cochin cockerel. He has some gold at the back of his hackle feathers. This should eliminate this rooster as being the father because gold/red hackle/saddle leakage usually = gold (s+/s+). One parent has to have Silver (S/s+ or S/S for males, S/- for females) for the offspring to have Silver.
And if he was the father this buff brahma bantam hen has to be the mother:

And if this buff brahma rooster was the father: Most likely this rooster is the sire.

Then I think either my splash Pullet:

Or my lavender Pullet are the most likely mothers.

Once again, these are all bantams. I'm not sure if that matters.
Also I think the chick has green eyes. The buff brahma rooster had two chicks with green eyes (a male and a female) last year when he was crossed with a mottled Cochin hen.

And here is a picture of the male, light brahma colored chick again.
Since we have narrowed down the father to the buff brahma which is gold (s+/s+), the mother has to be Silver. (S/-). Which may be hidden in varieties that show no red/gold unless there is leakage (like your blue cochin rooster, if he was Silver the leakage area should be creamy to white not gold).

This doesn't narrow down the choices much, just eliminates any of your pullets/hens that aren't Silver and can't hide Silver, like the partridge for example.

The Barred cochin (B/-) may also be eliminated if the chick doesn't have Barring, because it would pass the Barring gene to its sons. They would be B/b+.

The chicks feathers that would normally be black look bluish gray instead int the pic. If I am seeing this correctly then it has Blue (Bl/bl+) which means that the mother has the Blue gene since the father doesn't. This could be hidden by white.

This would eliminate the black Australorp, mottled Cochin, and possibly the lavender Cochin shouldn't have both Blue (Bl/bl+) and lavender (lav/lav).

So if this is all true so far then the candidates would be the Splash Cochin or White Cochin. Unless you have others that would pass through the elimination so far.

Since we have narrowed down the father to the buff brahma which is gold (s+/s+), the mother has to be Silver. (S/-). Which may be hidden in varieties that show no red/gold unless there is leakage (like your blue cochin rooster, if he was Silver the leakage area should be creamy to white not gold).

This doesn't narrow down the choices much, just eliminates any of your pullets/hens that aren't Silver and can't hide Silver, like the partridge for example.

The Barred cochin (B/-) may also be eliminated if the chick doesn't have Barring, because it would pass the Barring gene to its sons. They would be B/b+.

The chicks feathers that would normally be black look bluish gray instead int the pic. If I am seeing this correctly then it has Blue (Bl/bl+) which means that the mother has the Blue gene since the father doesn't. This could be hidden by white.

This would eliminate the black Australorp, mottled Cochin, and possibly the lavender Cochin shouldn't have both Blue (Bl/bl+) and lavender (lav/lav).

So if this is all true so far then the candidates would be the Splash Cochin or White Cochin. Unless you have others that would pass through the elimination so far.

Thank you!

Oh, the blue roosters leakage might be cream colored, I'll take a pic.

How to I tell if a chicken has the gold or silver gene?

I highly doubt it was my white hen.

ETA

Here is the blue Cochins hackle feathers

Last edited:
Thank you!

Oh, the blue roosters leakage might be cream colored, I'll take a pic.

How to I tell if a chicken has the gold or silver gene?

I highly doubt it was my white hen.

ETA

Here is the blue Cochins hackle feathers
Hmm, kinda hard to tell, he could be gold (s+/s+) or have one Silver and one gold gene (S/s+), with two Silver genes that area would be white. The feathers above and below the 'gold leakage' area look like they have white on them? or is that a trick of the camera?

You can usually tell gold or Silver by the red/gold areas being normal red/gold or white. Easy to see in some varieties, harder in some, almost impossible without test breeding in others.

And that's not taking into effect possible modifying or enhancing genes.

For example, if we replace the gold (s+) with Silver (S) on your buff brahmas they would essentially be light brahmas, white where the buff was.

Back
Top Bottom