Color genetics thread.

Hmm, kinda hard to tell, he could be gold (s+/s+) or have one Silver and one gold gene (S/s+), with two Silver genes that area would be white. The feathers above and below the 'gold leakage' area look like they have white on them? or is that a trick of the camera?

You can usually tell gold or Silver by the red/gold areas being normal red/gold or white. Easy to see in some varieties, harder in some, almost impossible without test breeding in others.

And that's not taking into effect possible modifying or enhancing genes.

For example, if we replace the gold (s+) with Silver (S) on your buff brahmas they would essentially be light brahmas, white where the buff was.

There is no white, it just his shiny feathers :)

So if I wanted to how could I get this light brahma colored chick again? Could there be girls that color?

Last edited:
There is no white, it just his shiny feathers :)

So if I wanted to how could I get this light brahma colored chick again? Could there be girls that color?

Ok, I thought it may be shiny feathers, wanted to be sure.

If you want girls that color, need to use a Silver male over your buff brahma hen. To use what you have you can put that chick (when he grows up)
1f601.png
over the buff hen. Half of the female offspring should be light brahma colored.

Ok, I thought it may be shiny feathers, wanted to be sure.

If you want girls that color, need to use a Silver male over your buff brahma hen. To use what you have you can put that chick (when he grows up)
1f601.png
over the buff hen. Half of the female offspring should be light brahma colored.

It it possible I could get white chicks if I bred that blue roo to a white Cochin hen? The hen has a couple gray feathers that you can only see when I give her a bath.

It it possible I could get white chicks if I bred that blue roo to a white Cochin hen? The hen has a couple gray feathers that you can only see when I give her a bath.
I read that most white Cochins are recessive white.

If your hen is recessive white, your Blue Cochin rooster x white Cochin hen will most likely have 50% Blue 50% Black offspring with all of them carrying one recessive white gene. I said most likely because the white could be hiding other stuff.

Help with Tail Colour Genetics.

Have been trying to make some BLUE Tail White Japanese Bantams with no success and I am confused as to the reason.

I have a succeeded in making lots of Blue Tail Buff roosters and hens. But, my white birds always are pure white!!!

I have a single... now getting old, Blue Tail White Hen. I have mated her to White Roosters.. but all offspring are pure white... and their offspring as also pure white.

I accidently mated her to a buff Rooster, and all his young and their offspring have had blue tails.

I am getting worried now as my Blue Tail hen is getting on to be about 6 years old and I fear she will not be able to make eggs soon.

I have not been able to locate any more Blue Tail Japanese Bantams in my country!!!! (I live in Thailand). So I could really do with some advise ASAP.

Thanks.

I have not been able to locate any more Blue Tail Japanese Bantams in my country!!!! (I live in Thailand). So I could really do with some advise ASAP.

Thanks.
Can you get black tailed whites?

It sounds like your whites are dominant white. You won't be able to get any blue or black tailed whites using them.

Yes.. I can get black tail whites.

How can I make some more Blue tail whites please? I love blue tails... they look more pretty to me than the black tails.

How can I make some more Blue tail whites please?  I love blue tails... they look more pretty to me than the black tails. 

Find a black tailed white rooster and breed him to your hen.
1/2 the chicks will be blue tailed and 1/2 will be black tailed.

How can I make some more Blue tail whites please?  I love blue tails... they look more pretty to me than the black tails. 

Find a black tailed white rooster and breed him to your hen.
1/2 the chicks will be blue tailed and 1/2 will be black tailed.

Just curious, is there such a thing as a Splash tailed rooster that he could use?

Just curious, is there such a thing as a Splash tailed rooster that he could use?

If there is blue tailed then there should/could be splash tailed. Which a splash tailed rooster would be ideal.
He can not find a blue so probably be even harder to find a splash.
He needs to grab up the best black tailed rooster he can find fast.
Breed it to his hen and hatch as many eggs as he can.
Then I would bred the best blue tailed cockerels to all the pullets black and blue tailed.
From there he would get black tailed, blue tailed and splash tailed.
Then he could breed splash to black and get all blue or blue to blue and get more BBS tailed.

Back
Top Bottom