Color genetics thread.

As I understand it probably the white bird is black under the white gene... and now all chicks carry a recessive white gene. So if you cross back to white parent you could get white, black, or blue (if you use blue offspring), cross the f1s all three colors possible but if to blue parent, you should get blues and blacks that may or may not carry white gene. I am no expert on this but I think this is what would happen.
Sounds right.

Does anyone know if gold barred has e^b/e^b for the E locus or e^WH/e^WH? With either one, how would you create a gold barred from scratch?

T

Thank you, WVduckchick. That's what I was wanting to know, just wishing it was the hens that got the red leakage, as those are the ones I'll be keeping. More fun to be able to identify individuals by markings than leg bands! Thanks again for the info. If I get interesting markings on these chicks (and the next clutch is due this month), I'll post pictures. If they all look like silvers, no point in it.

If anyone is interested this is the cockerel from a Silver Wyandotte Rooster and a Gold W. Hen. His cape and saddle are tinged with gold. The pullets don't show any gold leakage at all. Exactly as I was told would be the case from you good folks here! The 3 sisters are in the 2nd photo.
P1170491.JPG

P1170400.JPG

P1170478.JPG
The photos are at 15 weeks. Thanks everybody!

DSCN4259.JPG
DSCN4258.JPG
DSCN4232.JPG
DSCN4229.JPG
DSCN4234.JPG
DSCN4227.JPG
DSCN4224.JPG
DSCN4274.JPG
DSCN4273.JPG
DSCN4263.JPG
DSCN4240.JPG
Just thought I would post some pics of the offspring of my buff Orpington, rose comb RIR, Production Red dad X Dominique moms (excuse the Ameraucana boy in the first pic).

There are 22 week olds, and 11 week olds.

Not much activity here anymore, but I am hoping one of the Genetic Guru's can tell me what this guy is color wise? His dad was a Blue Wheaten, and hen was either a Gold Laced Barnevelder, EE, or Black Copper cross.
108_2081 (2).JPG
108_2083 (2).JPG

N
Not much activity here anymore, but I am hoping one of the Genetic Guru's can tell me what this guy is color wise? His dad was a Blue Wheaten, and hen was either a Gold Laced Barnevelder, EE, or Black Copper cross. View attachment 1166171 View attachment 1166173
Blue Wheaten, what breed? And how sure of that coloration are you? He's got one Marans parent for sure, with the feathered legs and white skin. Could be some sort of dilute gene that is causing the yellow hackle and saddle feathers. Definitely has a Mahogany gene, probably also has a dark brown gene to allow so much Mahogany in the chest.

Back
Top Bottom