Color genetics thread.

Could someone please tell me what I would get if I bred this guy:
6403BC93-C8C1-4972-B765-495C574759E2.jpeg

(His father was a buff brahma bantam and his mother was a barred Cochin bantam) to my white Cochin bantam hen. He has some orange splashes in him, which are cool.
I’ve bred the white Cochin bantam hen before to a blue Cochin bantam rooster with a little gold leakage and the chicks turned out black or blue with orange around the neck/head.

I’m guessing the chicks from them will be barred, with orange leakage. Is this correct?

Could someone please tell me what I would get if I bred this guy:
View attachment 1224346
(His father was a buff brahma bantam and his mother was a barred Cochin bantam) to my white Cochin bantam hen. He has some orange splashes in him, which are cool.
I’ve bred the white Cochin bantam hen before to a blue Cochin bantam rooster with a little gold leakage and the chicks turned out black or blue with orange around the neck/head.

I’m guessing the chicks from them will be barred, with orange leakage. Is this correct?
You are correct. Some may even look just like daddy. White in Cochins is a recessive gene. Recessive white doesn't just act on black pigment, like dominant white does. Recessive white produces an entirely white bird, regardless of what other pattern/color genes may be present. You may get some surprises.
The reason that the Blue rooster paired with the white hen produced black and blue is because his color is a dilute for black pigment. The Blue rooster is either extended black or birchen at the e-locus, two of the most dominant of all e-locus genes. His genetics were dominant over the hen's in that case.

You are correct. Some may even look just like daddy. White in Cochins is a recessive gene. Recessive white doesn't just act on black pigment, like dominant white does. Recessive white produces an entirely white bird, regardless of what other pattern/color genes may be present. You may get some surprises.
The reason that the Blue rooster paired with the white hen produced black and blue is because his color is a dilute for black pigment. The Blue rooster is either extended black or birchen at the e-locus, two of the most dominant of all e-locus genes. His genetics were dominant over the hen's in that case.
Cool! I love my roosters coloring

Do you know what percent of the chicks will look like daddy? 50%?

Can anyone tell me what colors I would get if I bred my partridge Cochin bantam hen with my buff brahma bantam rooster?

Vs
The partridge Cochin bantam hen with this rooster:
DBDFD557-CE20-4141-BF46-C04EB3A72332.jpeg

He is barred, his father is buff brahma, mother is barred Cochin.

Can anyone tell me what colors I would get if I bred my partridge Cochin bantam hen with my buff brahma bantam rooster?

If the male is solid buff and is “pure” or homozygous for the genes that make him solid and also buff then all your first generation will be solid buff. If he isn’t homozygous for those genes you may get different colors and/or alleles (eg partridge, wheaten, etc)

Vs
The partridge Cochin bantam hen with this rooster:
He is barred, his father is buff brahma, mother is barred Cochin.

That male is basically a barred columbian but is only heterozygous for the columbian gene based on the parents you indicated for him. Putting your partridge hen with him will most likely give you a combination of:
Gold partridge males
Gold columbian males
Leaky silver partridge females
Leaky columbian females

That male is basically a barred columbian but is only heterozygous for the columbian gene based on the parents you indicated for him. Putting your partridge hen with him will most likely give you a combination of:
Gold partridge males
Gold columbian males
Leaky silver partridge females
Leaky columbian females

Would the Colombian females also be silver? Will they be barred like dad?

Would the gold Colombian males be barred?

Would the Colombian females also be silver? Will they be barred like dad?

Would the gold Colombian males be barred?
Some females will be silver and some won't.
Some females will be barred and some won't.
Some males will be barred and some won't.
That cross will not only produce gold males and silver females either.
That male carries silver and gold so he can pass on either to his offspring.
Basically he is crossed to the point it would be pretty impossible to predict what he will produce exactly.

If you breed black copper to partridge does that give you a black based golden duckwing?
I used the one dutch chicken calculator to get these results.

Back
Top Bottom