Color genetics thread.

Hi,
I am interested in the genetics behind this ≈12 week pullet (mille fleur d'uccle x cross breed hen), can anybody help out? Could it all just be leakage on the breast? Could it be related to the columbian gene?

Attachments

• 29884110_10213671380853309_968343717_o.jpg
    29884110_10213671380853309_968343717_o.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 29943008_10213671380693305_2142430659_o.jpg
    29943008_10213671380693305_2142430659_o.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hello again everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows what breeds or varieties have the Cb gene (champagne blond). It's a dominant diluter of gold. I believe it only dilutes feathers.

(I was thinking the flarry eye grey birds at greenfire farms carried this gene but I'm not so sure since their shanks are cream.)
https://greenfirefarms.com/flarry_eye_grey.html

Hello everyone! I'd like to ask if anyone can explain my hen Mykerion's color to me.

So years ago, two of my bantams had a baby.

The father was a reddish-brown Cochin bantam.
Georgia (1).JPG

The mother was a black Rosecomb bantam. (She is young in this photo, never had a good adult photo of her, but she grew the proper Rosecomb white earlobes and comb type.)
Raven.jpg

As far as I know, these birds were both purebred. They came from the mixed bantam bin at TSC when they were chicks.

When grown, Mykerion (their daughter) turned out to look mostly like her mom, but with red neck feathers!
Mykerion (7).JPG

I didn't realize until I got a standard black sex-link hen earlier this year (who looks like a massive Mykerion) that the black-with-red-neck is, well, a sex-linked color. But it's my understanding that in the sex-link breed, you get that color by crossing a reddish rooster with a black and white barred hen. Mykerion's father was reddish, but her mother was definitely not barred at all.

So how'd Mykerion's color happen?

She is basically the same color/pattern as a female black sex link.
You're correct a lot of BSL use a red rooster as you did. Pretty much same genes from fathers side.
With BSL the female is barred which is passed to her sons but not her daughters so males are barred and females aren't. Hence the sex link.
In your case you used a black female. Barred is black with barring so your cross results in producing the same female chicks. You just left out the barring which would of resulted in males being barred.
Make sense?

She is basically the same color/pattern as a female black sex link.
You're correct a lot of BSL use a red rooster as you did. Pretty much same genes from fathers side.
With BSL the female is barred which is passed to her sons but not her daughters so males are barred and females aren't. Hence the sex link.
In your case you used a black female. Barred is black with barring so your cross results in producing the same female chicks. You just left out the barring which would of resulted in males being barred.
Make sense?

Makes perfect sense! Thanks!!

I’ve got a color question, I’m trying to get some white chickens.

So I bred this rooster, Stonefrost, (his dad is buff Brahma bantam, mom barred Cochin Bantam) to my white Bantam Cochin hen Marshmallow
9C1603AF-7655-4CEC-9A26-E5B445FC29FE.jpeg

They produced this little guy, Darkfrost.
90CECCA1-218C-4EAF-AE7F-E17C32E87A5F.jpeg

And his two sisters, one has gold leakage the other has silver.
E4F24085-24A5-4CBC-8A76-D3F142908FC3.jpeg

And those three have a half sister (Ninja) who is black with gold leakage also, they have the same white Cochin mom, but her dad was a blue Cochin.

My question is what hen is the best way to get white chicks? Who should I breed Darkfrost to? I have a different white Cochin hen (snowflake) that I could use.
Would Darkfrost x Snowflake get the most white chicks?
Is breeding him with his sisters a bad idea? What about his half sister, Ninja?

I've seen several of your posts in the past and can't agree with who you believe are the parents of some so with that and the extreme mixture of color/pattern genes you have going on the outcome of most would be too far mixed to have a clue.
That said your white Cochin is recessive white. Every offspring from her will carry one recessive white gene. Breed a son of hers back to her and you should get about 50% white chicks.
Breed any of her offspring together and you'd average 25% white offspring.

View attachment 1156830 View attachment 1156829 View attachment 1156828 View attachment 1156827 View attachment 1156826 View attachment 1156825 View attachment 1156824 View attachment 1156823 View attachment 1156822 View attachment 1156821 View attachment 1156820 Just thought I would post some pics of the offspring of my buff Orpington, rose comb RIR, Production Red dad X Dominique moms (excuse the Ameraucana boy in the first pic).

There are 22 week olds, and 11 week olds.

the roosters with red leakage are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom