Color genetics thread.

how could i create a mottled d'uccle from mille fleur, porcelain,white, self blue, or golden neck. i am using hatchery birds because honestly i just like hatching a getting into the genetics. I was also wondering how i could get just pure black. i was thinking maybe using white and mille fleur? I know i could use a black d'anver and like a white d'uccle and get it back to lookigng like a d'uccle?

how could i create a mottled d'uccle from mille fleur, porcelain,white, self blue, or golden neck. i am using hatchery birds because honestly i just like hatching a getting into the genetics. I was also wondering how i could get just pure black. i was thinking maybe using white and mille fleur? I know i could use a black d'anver and like a white d'uccle and get it back to lookigng like a d'uccle?
I answered your other thread but seeing this one I'm curious.
Do you know the genetics behind these varieties?
If not that needs to be your first step. Understanding what genetics will be needed to get to the colors/patterns you're wanting and then the genetics of what you have available to see what you need to bring in and breed out.
Without knowing the genetics you really can't get anywheres with a breeding project.

Mottled is simply black with the mottled gene. This would be pretty easy, find a E/E solid black bird (not sure if the d'anver has the correct locus), cross it to your mille fleur d'uccle, take the F1 offspring and cross them to another mille fleur (or backbreed if you'd like). You should get some mottled d'uccles. From there, keep breeding and improve the breed type and the patterning.

Mottling is a recessive gene represented by mo/mo. The F1 birds would get Mo/mo, and they would not show mottling. That is why you have to cross them again.

Mottled is simply black with the mottled gene. This would be pretty easy, find a E/E solid black bird (not sure if the d'anver has the correct locus), cross it to your mille fleur d'uccle, take the F1 offspring and cross them to another mille fleur (or backbreed if you'd like). You should get some mottled d'uccles. From there, keep breeding and improve the breed type and the patterning.

Mottling is a recessive gene represented by mo/mo. The F1 birds would get Mo/mo, and they would not show mottling. That is why you have to cross them again.
It won't be anywhere near that simple.
I think the OP is having issues getting a black bird since they are also wanting to make a solid black D'Uccle.
If they do have a EE black bird and breed it to a MF then breed it back to a MF that could give them the two doses of mottling but that's it. They would not get the two doses of E that they need nor would they be getting rid of the columbian genes that need to be bred out. And then there's also the silver vs gold.breeding back to MF is gonna breed away from silver and keep bring back the gold.
You can get black mottled chicks but they won't breed true because they will carry partridge under the extended black and they will most likely have leakage you wouldn't want plus other recessive genes that is going to be a choir to find out if they're there or not .
Its going to take a few generations, a lot of chicks and test breedings.
This wouldn't be an easy creation.
Much easier to find blacks and mottled instead of trying to make them.

You can get black mottled chicks but they won't breed true because they will carry partridge under the extended black and they will most likely have leakage you wouldn't want plus other recessive genes that is going to be a choir to find out if they're there or not
Ah, right. I didn't consider that. It will definitely take a long time to develop a bird like this in that case.

With whats listed it would probably be best to cross self blue to MF then continue to cross back to self blue. The lavender is going to be an issue since it is recessive and can be carried in the black birds for forever sight unseen.
MF has nothing to offer except the mottling gene so once you get those is stay away from the MF.
Also crossing back to self blue will get you to the mottled quicker but will keep the lavender gene in the mix. At some point you'll have to cross the offspring to get away from lavender. Then when you get it all together you'll have to test breed to make sure you've gotten rid of lavender.

With whats listed it would probably be best to cross self blue to MF then continue to cross back to self blue. The lavender is going to be an issue since it is recessive and can be carried in the black birds for forever sight unseen.
MF has nothing to offer except the mottling gene so once you get those is stay away from the MF.
Also crossing back to self blue will get you to the mottled quicker but will keep the lavender gene in the mix. At some point you'll have to cross the offspring to get away from lavender. Then when you get it all together you'll have to test breed to make sure you've gotten rid of lavender.

I see. That avoids having to crossbreed. While we're on the topic of mottling, how do you think one would create an exchequer d'uccle?

I see. That avoids having to crossbreed. While we're on the topic of mottling, how do you think one would create an exchequer d'uccle?
Lol.
Wish I knew. I do not have exchequer figured out.
Everyone says its mottled but I have some experience with mottled and exchequer and it isn't just mottling.
Imo it is mottled plus something else.
I just happened to have hatched a couple chicks from some black Xs barred breeding that look like exchequer as chicks. They aren't old enough to know what they'll turn into yet but I'm excited to see.
They have no mottling or exchequer genes in their lines what so ever so for sure a pleasant surprise.

Lol.
Wish I knew. I do not have exchequer figured out.
Everyone says its mottled but I have some experience with mottled and exchequer and it isn't just mottling.
Imo it is mottled plus something else.
I just happened to have hatched a couple chicks from some black Xs barred breeding that look like exchequer as chicks. They aren't old enough to know what they'll turn into yet but I'm excited to see.
They have no mottling or exchequer genes in their lines what so ever so for sure a pleasant surprise.

Hm. I've always thought of exchequer as mottled with I/i+ (heterozygous dominant white).

Hm. I've always thought of exchequer as mottled with I/i+ (heterozygous dominant white).
Naw they're not heterozygous dominate white because they breed true.
I've put mottling from MF on other things and it looks and acts the same.
I've crossed exchequer and it didn't come out the same as any other mottled.
Anyways I won't get into that like I said I don't completely understand it.

Back
Top Bottom