Color genetics thread.

Pics
Raining so no picture today. I've been searching the web today can't find an exact but here is a Campine this is about as close as I can find, I think it is pretty close to my hen.

The white patch showing on this wing is not on my hen though. The barring is very very similar.
Egyptian fayoumis

Last edited:
Egyptian fayoumis

The picture I posted is a Campine. Of course my hen has a naked neck so you can see if she had the white neck, but the bit of now tie she has is the same color as the body. Her pattern us closer to the Campine than the Fayoumis.

As I stated earlier I think it is some firm if the Birchen pattern.

I have noticed Millie Fleur has mottling and slate legs . Mottling and barring interrupt melanin in the legs as well as the feathers . So any ideas on if it is eb brown or the plumage color allowing good slate color in the legs . I intend to try a cross with cuckoo Ameraucana to see if I can get good slate leg color on this project color . Not even sure if it is possible to base black on eb . Any thoughts would be appreciated .

I finally got a picture today. It's not great. I'm not a very good photographer and she wouldn't stop and pose when I asked her to.

Here's an answer that I got from another thread. From @Kev
I tend to think this is the best answer. As I was saying I'm calling it a Birchen but it is not totally birch. I'm putting the response in bold.

. To be honest I don't really know...

could be birchen plus several genes to make her strongly marked like that..

could be wheaten plus silver plus some genes to make her half pencilled. Wheaten hens usually have a very very light breast though, mostly white and she does not seem to have that..

So.. maybe silver partridge with various genes....

you could easily make a pencilled either campine or rock style or spangled or even laced out of her.

I was doing some reading on the Erminett, but can't find anything indicating if it is different genes than the I/I dominant white. It looks like it might just be the white gene with the addition of mottling (mo/mo). IE

I/I and anything = solid white
I/i+ and MO/mo = solid white
I/i+ and mo/mo = white bird with colored areas, ie Erminett or pied looking.

looks like a Turken legbar cross.. I know she doesn't seem to have the brown breast.. But not all of them do

Naked Neck Easter Egger cross. I bred her myself.
No Legbars whatsoever. Not trying to offend anyone but I detest them, I don't like the floppy comb mostly, but I don't want that auto sexing barring in my stock. I do have regular barring and some orange barred that I'm trying to breed out.

If you noticed I post the best possible color for her and an answer from an expert on color genetics.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom