Color genetics thread.

Pics
Daddy was my Black Sex Link Naked Neck,
(His daddy was the Salmon Nsked Neck andom was a Barred something) and the mother if this chick was a Weksummer hen ( are those considered BBR)?

Welsumers are BBR but they also have another gene I can't remember right now.. it makes their breasts spotty brown/black(standard calls for this instead of solid black breasts) and hens slightly darker.

Putting barring over a properly colored rooster would show black, brown and white on their breasts. very colorful but would be considered a serious DQ in say, crele oegb....

you got good info but did not see mention of blue being a dilutor gene.  It can make the head spot harder to detect due to lack of contrast.

it can also affect barring- some blue chickens are poorly barred.  Not all of them though, don't know why some have fairly good barring yet how on some it can be so sparse.
Thank you!!

Welsumers are BBR but they also have another gene I can't remember right now.. it makes their breasts spotty brown/black(standard calls for this instead of solid black breasts) and hens slightly darker. 

Putting barring over a properly colored rooster would show black, brown and white on their breasts.  very colorful but would be considered a serious DQ in say, crele oegb....

He is pretty, but since he's not crele, I probably won't keep him then. Although he'd probably make done pretty babies, he's not the best sized I'm looking for. So I'll try to figure out something else to keep instead.

Hi! Google hasn't helped much, so I thought I'd ask you all...What would cause incomplete barring? I'm just now seeing a few blurry barred tail feathers on a 6 month old roo that I thought was solid until now...

Does anyone have ideas on how to get a flock of Silkied Ameraucanas that produce Blue/Black/Splash/Lavender or Chocolate chicks but only has one rooster? Is that even possible? I can hold 11 hens and only 1 roo.

I think my best bet would be a Khaki(mauve) roo right?

I will be ordering hatching eggs for the Easter HAL and I'm trying to figure out what to get. I figured 2 of each of the above colors for the pullets with an extra black split to lavender pullet.

Does that sound right?

Hi! Google hasn't helped much, so I thought I'd ask you all...What would cause incomplete barring? I'm just now seeing a few blurry barred tail feathers on a 6 month old roo that I thought was solid until now...

My barred rock rooster has more white on his tail feathers then on his body. Since molting, he also developed a solid, beetle-green feather on his wing. I think it just depends on their genetics.

Back
Top Bottom