Colorado Shooting - How horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this thread,

as a law abiding gun owner in California, this POS should feel the pain of everyone affected a trillion times over.
What should happen is all these stupid laws restricting law abiding citizens to carry. The movie theater doesnt allow people to carry, if someone had carried they could have possibly stopped the shooting and less lives lost.

Why are all these laws disarming law abiding citizens? Criminals dont obey the law as you can see this POS did just that. A sign isnt going to stop him.

Now, media says he was carrying 6000 rds of ammo and a lot of other wrong comments.
Rambo cant even carry 6000 rds, thats about 10 ammo cans filled, and easily a few hundred pounds. Yes he did buy 6000 rds but not carry all of that.

EDUCATION is the key, level the playing field and arm yourself, protect yourself and others, otherwise you are just fish in a barrel, humans in a theater disarmed.
Arent you anti gun people tired of this yet? or do you enjoy hearing these kinds of stories and pass laws thinking they will help?

I teach in a university system in a graduate program. Every year kids/adults graduate with skills and knowledge that will allow them to make a life for themselves that benefits not only themselves but their families and, ultimately, society. I have Great students from all over the world and I am so proud of their efforts. They have strong ethics and belief systems and only wish to make their world a better place as much as they can. To say that the university environment is responsible for the horrible and abhorrent actions of one individual undermines the efforts of all students seeking an education.

And just a note, the "if it feels good just do it" mentality is not part of any curriculum that I know of.
Then maybe I am over estimating the value and need for an education. Ones moral compass may need be honed in another arena. I do think some universities address moral behavior better than others and for a school to say it is not thier job to teach people to be responsible is an excuse for failure.

My point is you pay a school big bucks to give you an otherwise much needed education and they let people like this guy slip through the cracks tells me they are not the sole responsible party but did little to prevent it. What good is an education if it cannot teach you what is right or wrong? some here say an education teaches you a way of thinking I am not sure that it is working.

hit.gif
STUPID MURDERER!!!!!!

Blaming higher education is a reach, even for you. I have a feeling that had you had the ambition to seek a higher level of education you wouldn't be saying such things. It's just kind of silly I guess. You talking about higher education would be like Ray Charles talking about photography. Oh yeah, speedy trials are up to the defendant so I wouldn't count on it, but it would be nice.
I have pursued higher education and attended college but I was paying for it not the government and life had a different plan for me... 30 years ago. Higher education did not help this guy either... does not say much for its' worth if it cannot teach those that have need of a different way of thinking or handling problems. Not helping a drowning man is not a crime or your fault but it is your responsibility to help them if you can. That is where the universities educating our country's' youth falls short... not necessarily the blame. The guy is to blame as he is responsible for his action.

Then maybe I am over estimating the value and need for an education. Ones moral compass may need be honed in another arena. I do think some universities address moral behavior better than others and for a school to say it is not thier job to teach people to be responsible is an excuse for failure.

My point is you pay a school big bucks to give you an otherwise much needed education and they let people like this guy slip through the cracks tells me they are not the sole responsible party but did little to prevent it. What good is an education if it cannot teach you what is right or wrong? some here say an education teaches you a way of thinking I am not sure that it is working.
schools are not daycare, the people responsible for teaching moral compase are the parents. Especialy higher education.

schools are not daycare, the people responsible for teaching moral compase are the parents. Especialy higher education.
Could have fooled me... they give you a place to sleep, food, tell you what/how to think or fail you, maybe they do not change diapers but they do resemble daycare.

When you are an adult in higher education and have no moral compass due to whatever your parents did or did not do you are capable of making rational decisions and those decisions are based on right and wrong and that should be part of the curriculum.

When dealing with mental and personality disorders, one can only effect a certain level through environment such as parent rearing and any learning institute (from grad school to Sunday school). Unfortunately, that is often still the level that aid starts and ends within and is limited to. Higher education has led to great improvements in areas such as medication, analysis/understanding, and therapies, and is likely to continue to improve public knowledge of such subjects. Which is great as there is obviously much to be learned still, and what we do know is often poorly put to practice.

When dealing with mental and personality disorders, one can only effect a certain level through environment such as parent rearing and any learning institute (from grad school to Sunday school). Unfortunately, that is often still the level that aid starts and ends within and is limited to. Higher education has led to great improvements in areas such as medication, analysis/understanding, and therapies, and is likely to continue to improve public knowledge of such subjects. Which is great as there is obviously much to be learned still, and what we do know is often poorly put to practice.
agreed. And some mental illness begins to show itself in a person's 20's, when people are in school. The school can hardly be blamed for an organic illness

Aye, after working with a few teens with schizophrenia, my husband and I admittedly were so thankful when we got over the hump for when it typically develops. It was a very different experience than working with people who showed signs of various conditions from birth. One girl was a straight A honor student and a star athlete. Was very outgoing and sweet. She now functions at about the level of a six year-old, and is very dangerous off meds. Even worse, she has moments of clarity. Late onset issues are just absolutely heartbreaking to see, and very devastating. In contrast, many of the personality disorders involved a lot of doubt and little support for the family, so affected them very differently. Those with clear-cut/textbook personality disorders are typically the people I run into in every day life, and who are completely undiagnosed, as it is much harder to implement any kind of treatment.

Last edited:
What a horrible and unspeakable act... I wonder what this guy's mother knows about her son's mental state. When ABC News called her, she reportedly told them, "You have the right person." Seems that we'll know a lot more when the mother and his friends are interviewed by the media...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom