Colorado Shooting - How horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permit requirements in most states are stricter than the requirements that LEOs have.

If I am reading the information about permits and renewal within Michigan correctly, a squeaky clean record all around is required, permits are valid for 4-5 years, and required for renewal is a review of the course on safety and use, and one hour of range time within 6 months, (obtaining a permit only cites a safety course requirement).

Perhaps I'm reading this information wrong, but it seems that after you get the permit in Michigan, you can carry a pistol around without taking the time to practice with it until you want to renew your permit.
Sure, there will be responsible owners who practice a few times a month and keep their weapon well cared for. But there will also be negligent people who may be qualified in the eyes of the state, but they aren't any good with the weapon they choose to carry close to them. It's those people that worry me, because when the time comes they may feel like they can handle the situation when in reality they can't and they only put others in danger.

I have no issue with concealed carry itself. If someone chooses to carry a gun, that is their choice. I have issue with the people who skate by or abuse the system and consequently put people in danger and give responsible owners a bad reputation.

Perhaps I'm reading this information wrong, but it seems that after you get the permit in Michigan, you can carry a pistol around without taking the time to practice with it until you want to renew your permit.
Sounds about right but think about it this way. Most states only require LEOs to show that they can hit a man sized target at something like 21 feet every year.

Permit holders have to have a clean record.

LEOs can be convicted felons.

Permit holders are responsible for every round they fire.

LEOs are generally exempt from charges or lawsuits from shootings, good or bad.

Permit holders can be charged for someone even seeing the imprint of a gun threw there clothing unless they can prove imminent bodily harm

LEOs can draw an fire on anyone they think may be a danger to them an can openly carry almost everywhere all the time.

Mind you this is state averages. Lots of LEOs hold there self to a higher standard but so do most permit holders.

My wife's good friend's nephew was shot in Iraq in the chest with body armor on (and the leg... no armor) with an AK47 from about 500 yards away, it broke 3 ribs, collapsed a lung and put him on the ground unable to breathe. I think a 40 S&W would do the same. There are also rounds available that are designed not to pass through.
That is interesting, seeing as my carry weapon is a Glock 23C in 40S&W. Anyway a good tactical flashlight on strobe setting would have temporarily blinded the bad guy allowing time for an accurate shot or two. Got that revelation this morning when I turned mine on while facing a mirror.
tongue.png

Sadly this will likely repeat itself.
I think what is happeneing is stress is taking its toll on our country. I have traveled around a lot and and most countries are laid back and much slower pace. In the US everyone is in a personal presssure cooker trying to get ahead or running round trying to do too much in too little time. Now there are a lot of people loosing jobs, houses, cars and feel they have failed their families. As the economy collapses more people will crack and it will get more dangerous as things unwhined. The weaker so to speak people snap. I thinks just human nature, everyone has a limit. This guy may just be plains nuts, but it will be interesting to see what he says.

If I am reading the information about permits and renewal within Michigan correctly, a squeaky clean record all around is required, permits are valid for 4-5 years, and required for renewal is a review of the course on safety and use, and one hour of range time within 6 months, (obtaining a permit only cites a safety course requirement).

I know people who are police officers in several states. As Rebel says, their requirements are much less than that. Especially the amount of range time. In some states, it's once a year. In others, every couple years. I know when my husband was only required to go to the range 1 time in 2 years of being a cop here in AR. Total time to run the course was less than 10 minutes because all that was required was to fire 1 clip. No one checked accuracy or anything else either.
Thankfully he has friends who have their own set-up and practiced regularly on his own.

To become a police officer, police academies have various training programs which ARE more in-depth, mostly about when it is legal for them to use deadly force. Amount of range time again varies and might cover several different weapons. HOWEVER, using WV as an example, you have 1 year after you are hired before you have to go to the academy. That means, they hire some punk off the street (husband's first police application was 8 questions!), hand that person a gun and badge, and turn them loose for the next year. Amount of training = 0.

hmmmm, let me see if I understand this... extremely dark theatre, movie sound booming as pictures flash on screen, gunman walks in and begins shooting, --- now all the concealed carry people are supposed to start shooting back, people are running around in the dark screaming and trying to escape in the middle of the fire fight, police arrive and don't know who is shooting whom... And this is supposed to save lives? I'm not seeing it.

hmmmm, let me see if I understand this... extremely dark theatre, movie sound booming as pictures flash on screen, gunman walks in and begins shooting, --- now all the concealed carry people are supposed to start shooting back, people are running around in the dark screaming and trying to escape in the middle of the fire fight, police arrive and don't know who is shooting whom... And this is supposed to save lives? I'm not seeing it.

Nor me! I think that some people have watched too many movies.

According to everything I have read on the internet, 86% of our population would have easily stopped the attack and sat down to finish watching the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom