Colorado Shooting - How horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to everything I have read on the internet, 86% of our population would have easily stopped the attack and sat down to finish watching the movie.

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

PMFL!

'What was that?'

'Oh, just an attempted massacre. I put a stop to it with my AK47 that I carry legally in my back pocket. Let's watch the rest of the movie. I can collect my medal in the morning.'

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

We now know enough about this guy - based on the numerous traps and bombs found in his apartment - to know that he could have just as easily have used one of his homemade bombs to do as much, if not more, injury and death.

The sad reality is that we are never 100% safe, especially when in a public venue. That's not a new reality, just one we're getting more first-hand knowledge about. Those intent on killing will find a method. Gun - bomb - airplane. There's always a way. Add security in one spot to try to stop it and they will look for a new weak spot and they'll find one.

Obviously, this guy is mentally ill but were there any signs? Were they ignored? He was collecting unemployment so where did he get the funds for all this? Why weren't his parents surprised when they learned what their son did? There are many questions yet to be answered.

Dealing with mental illness is the bigger issue. We need to know how to identify those that are a danger to themselves and to others and we need a legal means of making sure they get treatment.

We now know enough about this guy - based on the numerous traps and bombs found in his apartment - to know that he could have just as easily have used one of his homemade bombs to do as much, if not more, injury and death.

The sad reality is that we are never 100% safe, especially when in a public venue. That's not a new reality, just one we're getting more first-hand knowledge about. Those intent on killing will find a method. Gun - bomb - airplane. There's always a way. Add security in one spot to try to stop it and they will look for a new weak spot and they'll find one.

Obviously, this guy is mentally ill but were there any signs? Were they ignored? He was collecting unemployment so where did he get the funds for all this? Why weren't his parents surprised when they learned what their son did? There are many questions yet to be answered.

Dealing with mental illness is the bigger issue. We need to know how to identify those that are a danger to themselves and to others and we need a legal means of making sure they get treatment.
When his mother was asked and she said you have the right man it sent a chill up my spine because she knew he was off kilter yet said nothing. Although I do believe she didn't expect something would happen this bad. This wasn't a "he snapped moment", he planned this thoroughly albeit in a delusional manner but not insane. His perception of reality and fantasy was skewed by reason that we may never know.

Last edited:
I think it's easy to try to blame the mother, but she had little power over her adult son, mentally ill or not. It's actually quite difficult to get a mentally ill person locked up in an institution for more than 3 days, and if they are not acting dangerous (violent to themselves or others at the moment you call the cops/hospital) they will not take them. Anyone who has actually dealt with an adult family member or close friend with mental illness will tell you that it is really frustrating and heartbreaking because you have pretty much no control over the person. And forget about getting a mentally ill person to stick to therapy or meds - some do, but most do not. They usually do not believe they have a problem and also if they start meds and feel better they decide that they must be "cured" and often stop taking thier meds, starting the descent into madness once again.

I think it's easy to try to blame the mother, but she had little power over her adult son, mentally ill or not. It's actually quite difficult to get a mentally ill person locked up in an institution for more than 3 days, and if they are not acting dangerous (violent to themselves or others at the moment you call the cops/hospital) they will not take them. Anyone who has actually dealt with an adult family member or close friend with mental illness will tell you that it is really frustrating and heartbreaking because you have pretty much no control over the person. And forget about getting a mentally ill person to stick to therapy or meds - some do, but most do not. They usually do not believe they have a problem and also if they start meds and feel better they decide that they must be "cured" and often stop taking thier meds, starting the descent into madness once again.

I don't think anyone is blaming the mother but more questioning if she had seen a change in his behavior due to her response. Laws on dealing with the mentally ill vary from state to state but most of them make it difficult to have someone referred and reviewed. Yes, you're right that many times friends and family have no control over them as they are considered adults so there is no way to make them stick to therapy or meds.

Possibly these are the laws that need to change. It shouldn't be so difficult to get identification and treatment for mental illness and there should be legal recourse for those who refuse to stick with therapy or meds if their condition is such that they may injure themselves or others.

I am with RHRanch on this one. Once a person hits 18 they basically have total control over their lives. If you look at mental illness in homeless people or hopelessly addicted drug addicts.. the families without a doubt know how to better care for the person but in the eyes of the state you can't make decisions for someone else. You could warn everyone about the erratic or dangerous behavior but until that person crosses the line there is nothing the police can do about it. In this instance of this shooter he had no prior arrests or cause for concern. You could argue that had the mom warned the police they might have more closely monitored his activities... the purchase of firearms isn't as alarming as the numerous packages he had delivered to his school in the months leading to the attack. Makes you wonder what was inside and if any red flags should have gone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom