Colorado Shooting - How horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I referred to the TRAINED military personnel or TRAINED person.
depending on the department, there isn't much more training required to become a cop. I know because my husband was one. In some states, you can actually serve as a LEO for a year before you are required to have ANY training. After that, most departments require you to go to the range once every few years. Just like a CCW holder, it is up to the individual officer to hone their own skills with their weapons. Some will be dedicated enough to train on their own and others will do what is required - no more, no less.

A few years ago, a fugitive from MA killed a police officer here in Gassville AR. When he was finally surrounded, they fired dozens of rounds of ammo at him (almost a dozen officers had his car surrounded). He died because he shot himself in the head. Not one officer got a bullet into him, only a few rounds even hit the car!!

I'm beginning to understand the gun culture rather well. Its a sad reflection on a society that wishes to regard itself as civilised and goes some way to explaining the indifference with which its supporters view the murder of innocent children in places like Afghanistan.

I don't know anyone who is indifferent to the murder of innocent children, anywhere in the world. Resigned to the fact that such things are an in-avoidable part of war? yes. Innocent bystanders being hurt or killed has happened since man first started throwing rocks.

The gun culture of the US stems from the very birth of the country - an armed citizenship overthrowing a cruel government. The very constitution is written around the premise that government must be controlled by the citizens. And that the right to keep and bear arms is what insures that the government doesn't overstep its bounds.

Lordy people...don't you think Britain has changed since the colonies revolted from the guy known as "Mad King George"?

I find it interesting that people assume just because someone chooses not to carry concealed or have guns in their home means that they are unfamiliar with them. This is not true in my case or in the cases of many of my friends.

Lordy people...don't you think Britain has changed since the colonies revolted from the guy known as "Mad King George"?

I find it interesting that people assume just because someone chooses not to carry concealed or have guns in their home means that they are unfamiliar with them. This is not true in my case or in the cases of many of my friends.

Ofcourse Britain has changed as have we.

I also dont think there is many people in the US that are not familiar with guns. Probably even fewer in a state known as "the gun state" though the name does not fit.

depending on the department, there isn't much more training required to become a cop. I know because my husband was one. In some states, you can actually serve as a LEO for a year before you are required to have ANY training. After that, most departments require you to go to the range once every few years. Just like a CCW holder, it is up to the individual officer to hone their own skills with their weapons. Some will be dedicated enough to train on their own and others will do what is required - no more, no less.

A few years ago, a fugitive from MA killed a police officer here in Gassville AR. When he was finally surrounded, they fired dozens of rounds of ammo at him (almost a dozen officers had his car surrounded). He died because he shot himself in the head. Not one officer got a bullet into him, only a few rounds even hit the car!!

That is very sad indeed, it is not my view of training. I go to the range at least once a week, and take classes on home defense and medical training. I know this is not required to carry a CC and it is sad that it is not required of police officers. I take personal responsibility for myself and if I want to carry a gun I require that I can at least hit the bulls eye at 30 feet consistently. I think it should require training to own a gun, I think that people are going the wrong way by trying to prevent the sell of guns. When I say training I mean someone who goes to the range often and know there gun inside and out. The medical training is a bonus but I feel that it would be good for this nation for more people to learn basic EMT skills. I was witness to a horrible accident and there was very little I could do for the lady who was hurt, I don't want to be in that position again. I do what I can to be a valued member of society, and to make sure that if bad things happen I don't just sit there scared. I fear there may be a day when I need those skills to survive.

Apparently Christian Bale is reaching out to the victims and their families. I don't know about you, but I think that is pretty darn awesome of him.

I'm beginning to understand the gun culture rather well. Its a sad reflection on a society that wishes to regard itself as civilised and goes some way to explaining the indifference with which its supporters view the murder of innocent children in places like Afghanistan.

I look forward to reading more about your multi-talented, retired machinist/linguist friend who seems to have problems with the law when he visits his home country.
cool.png

When our government kills innocent people, what can I do to stop them. Most people in the US are fighting just to keep a roof over there heads, and the media is very corrupt. Anything that makes the US look bad is not published or if it has to be it is buried or written cleverly. You have to read international news to even know that some of this has happened. When we do protest it is turned in to a circus. Did you see what the media did to the 99%, granted they should have been a little more organized and costumes are a little stupid. However the media interviewed homeless and confused hippies who just wanted pot...they made it look like it was just a bunch of people who didn't like people who had money because they had money, not that it was targeted at the people who wrecked our economy and continue to do so. We let our government run rampant and now we have no control over it, and they have no concern about us. The media is controlled by them so even if we try they will make our efforts look week and illogical. The People don't have the power they once did and sadly by the time they realize it, it will be too late to do anything. It might be already. The government is already trying to censor the Internet worse then China.

Thought police officers go thru medical EMT-B or first responder as part of becoming a police officer.

it depends on the department they work for. As I said, though, (using WV as an example) they have 1 year from the day that they hire a new officer until they have to send him to the police academy. That is 365 days with no formal training at all. In many cases, that "officer" is a young guy just out of high school who is given a gun and a badge and said your territory is from Point A to Point B.

At any point, though, we were discussing firearms training. Most academies have a certain accuracy that they require to graduate. However, once you leave the academy you are subject only to the requirements of your department. Some only require that you spend a few minutes at the range every few years. There are some officers that I know that go above and beyond - honing their skills on their own time. I know others who do the bare minimum and never touch their gun outside the 30 minutes they are required to be at the range every few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom