Colorado Shooting - How horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that there will be little or no new factual information about the case now until it comes to Court in a few weeks' time so, until then, there's nothing about the case to be aired that hasn't already been aired.

In the meantime, surely the important question is the one that's being discussed now; what should be the government's reaction, if any, to a massacre caused by someone who carried a legal arsenal of deadly weapons and ammunition into a crowded public place? I can't imagine that the answer is 'Nothing'. Nor does it make sense to allow guns to be carried legally, only to have to leave them at the door when you enter a place where you think you might need to use them. It seems to me that the present laws and in some cases attitudes are so far removed from what's needed that there will be no change and soon there will be another mass killing. It seems so easy to plan and prepare for one without breaking a single law!
Our county sherrif supports legal CC here. They understand the positive role we play as a deterrent.

His court date is the 3rd but I don't think it will even be a guilty or not guilty plea, probably be the DA asking for a stay or something like that. I use to work at that court house as a volunteer and normal court proceedings are slow, let alone a high profile case like this. It will be months before they even get to a plea out of the kid. The DA may speed it up since he will never get bail.

Sure, the main case hearing is probably some time off. The news media will be all over the next hearing, though.

Any more information from your Thai pal?

Anymore information on why Thailand has a higher murder rate then the U.S. ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

http://chartsbin.com/view/1454

pop.gif

TT, there may not be any information out while the case is dealt with in the courts, and any that does get out will most likely be vague and minimal.
As with a multitude of high profile cases, the Judge has laid down gag orders for everyone from the lawyers and police to the school he attended. They've also banned filming the hearing on Monday, when he is formally charged. That ban may carry out along the entire case.
The media has been making a circus out of the events as it is, so I don't blame the Judge for his actions in trying to keep the courthouse calm.

As for what we'll do about guns, 'nothing' may be all that comes from this. Aside from an outright ban, no law would have stopped James Holmes from getting the guns. Severe limitations and outright bans haven't really put a stop to gun violence either, as can be seen on places like Chicago and New York City. Fairly permissive allowances for guns doesn't seem to phase the amount of criminal gun wielders around Detroit and Flint, where a large portion of the population is licensed to carry.

Perhaps instead of glaring at guns every time someone uses one for senseless violence, we should instead look at society and the area where the violence occurred. Areas with high unemployment and a high level of gang activity seem to be prone to gun violence, regardless of law.
If we imposed new gun laws after every shooting death, no one in Michigan would be able to even think about guns for all the violence that happens in the SE corner.

No, I haven't found a source of useful data. Guns are also legal here, as I've said previously, although very few can carry them legally in public. I suppose there's a temptation to carry licenced guns illegally in public. I believe that Thai nationals can by hand guns, shot guns and certain rifles but not military style gear. The odd thing is that I see few signs that gun violence, the topic under discussion rather than homicide in general, is anywhere near as bad as some paint it as being in the US. An exception might be Phuket which seems to have become something like the Wild west recently but that's sinkhole for sleazy tourists. Even then, I don't think that guns are the most common weapon.

I don't support the Thai gun laws. There's no need for guns here, even for hunting. A better comparison with the US might be gun crime statistics for the UK since hand guns were banned. This is the reason why there was a public outcry in the UK demanding the banning of handguns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

You might find that the circumstances are similar to incidents where you live but the public and government response was, I'm glad to say, rather different.

No, I haven't found a source of useful data. Guns are also legal here, as I've said previously, although very few can carry them legally in public. I suppose there's a temptation to carry licenced guns illegally in public. I believe that Thai nationals can by hand guns, shot guns and certain rifles but not military style gear. The odd thing is that I see few signs that gun violence, the topic under discussion rather than homicide in general, is anywhere near as bad as some paint it as being in the US. An exception might be Phuket which seems to have become something like the Wild west recently but that's sinkhole for sleazy tourists. Even then, I don't think that guns are the most common weapon.

I don't support the Thai gun laws. There's no need for guns here, even for hunting. A better comparison with the US might be gun crime statistics for the UK since hand guns were banned. This is the reason why there was a public outcry in the UK demanding the banning of handguns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

You might find that the circumstances are similar to incidents where you live but the public and government response was, I'm glad to say, rather different.
Gun bans are for the law abiding public as they only apply to those that are law abiding. As I have said before the UK has given away rights that we have fought to keep in exchange for a feeling of safety. The folks that want guns or need them in the UK have them that is just a fact. The UK citizens that just want to own one either leave or are burdened with a lenghty permit process. It may be that there is not much game hunting in the UK and from what I have read whackers don't need a gun but a stick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_ban

Gun sales always increase after talk of bans.

Last edited:
And how well is Britain faring against knife violence? They sell stab proof knives over there. I've heard of bans on knives over 4". People that want to hurt or kill are going to find ways to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom