Colorado

I posted 3 weeks ago that I had received some shipped eggs and was inquiring about hatching at altitude. Sadly, most of the eggs didn't develop at all. I opened them up and the yolk was totally runny. I kept one that looked good and one maybe...and this morning I have a PIP! Yeah! It's really rocking in there-I hope I have a chick sometime today.
smile.png
Funnily enough it's the egg I numbered 13!
fl.gif

And just an FYI Bomgaars up here in Brighton just got a shipment of chicks in yesterday eve. Dozens of fluffy faced EEs, Dominiques, and dozens of the brown layer assortment. Very pretty, fluffy, healthy looking chicks from Welp.

i do like how you can see into your set up. when/what age did you move them out side? Dnetschke

i have my chicks still in the brooder in the huas. but i need to set up an out side pin for them separet from the coop. (i have a lot of building to do in the next weeks) we tor down our pin from last year. i am thinking on having a middle ground or tempary coop for the adulterants before mixing the flocks... any ideals on mixing the flock and at what ages? (still new to my own chickens, grandmutter- that ist on longer with us- just let the hens raise their own chicks so i am not sure how to go about mixing them. other than twice aweek monitored intruductions)
Thanks on the window. It was a pain to work this into my coop plan after the fact. This whole coop cost me about $200 to $250. I used about 95% recycled or second hand parts. Only costs were hardware, paint, feeder piping, and screws. All the wood was reclaimed from pallets and crates.

I moved them out a couple days ago during this warm spell.

From what I've seen and read, the easiest way to integrate new chicks to an established flock is to stick them with a broody hen really early on and let her take care of them as her own chicks. Besides that it's monitored visits for a couple weeks. Once they're big enough to not get to injured by the larger hens you can introduce them to the pecking order and hope it all ends well.
Good luck.

Last edited:
From what I've seen and read, the easiest way to integrate new chicks to an established flock is to stick them with a broody hen really early on and let her take care of them as her own chicks. Besides that it's monitored visits for a couple weeks. Once they're big enough to not get to injured by the larger hens you can introduce them to the pecking order and hope it all ends well.
Good luck.
I was just going to post a question about this.
I have a broody hen with 2 week old chicks, her first and mine. She is in a separate pen with them in the run with the other birds now. The broody and the chicks can't get out, but they can see the other hens. Obviously the hens can see them too.
hmm.png

Now, if one of the hens looks at the chicks the momma broody puffs up and sometimes charges and pecks at them through the chicken wire.
Are you saying that I just open up the pen on day and let everyone have at each other and eventually it will all work out?
Honestly, the hens don't really seem interested in the chicks, only the food in the pen. But, really I don't know.
Can someone tell me their experience with doing this? thanks.
mo

I was just going to post a question about this.
I have a broody hen with 2 week old chicks, her first and mine. She is in a separate pen with them in the run with the other birds now. The broody and the chicks can't get out, but they can see the other hens. Obviously the hens can see them too.
hmm.png

Now, if one of the hens looks at the chicks the momma broody puffs up and sometimes charges and pecks at them through the chicken wire.
Are you saying that I just open up the pen on day and let everyone have at each other and eventually it will all work out?
Honestly, the hens don't really seem interested in the chicks, only the food in the pen. But, really I don't know.
Can someone tell me their experience with doing this? thanks.
mo
I had a very small experience with this. It was one broody hen with week old chicks introduced to one 7 month old pullet. Summer (the broody) told off Pidge a few times with the classic broody puff and growl and kicked her once or twice if she got too close to the chicks. After that everything calmed down. Pidge kept her distance for a few days and eventually could mix with the chicks so long as no one started peeping in distress. Which was rare.

That is what I did with my broody. I let them free range with the other birds, supervised of course, for about a week or so until I made sure that all of the hens and broody were okay with each other. I would put them in their separate space at night during that week and then when the chicks were about a month and roosting with the crew, I made them their own feeding area that they could get into, but not the big hens and that saved on the feed bill.

I actually have tried this several times. I mixed plain yogurt with crumbles and serves it on a Tupperware lid. I have done this every other day for 2 weeks. Still no progress.
Have you try to put some olive oil on their buts.
Last year I had a really bad case of pasty butts on my silkies, I add molasses to the water, and use Keefer with their food, clean their bums and put the olive oil around it will not allow the poop to get dry and glue on their feathers. (sorry about the english , better at spanish)

Hey everyone, I found some fencing on CL and wanted to know your thoughts on whether it's sufficient to keep predators at bay? It sounds like a great deal despite the 2.5 hr drive, but I'm new at this. Planning to raise Beltsville turkeys from ruralmom.

" 50' rolls (6 foot high) w/ 2 inch holes 20 gauge for $15.00 per roll."

http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/3632600757.html

i like reading the predators/pests forum. you might want to look around at what predators you have around your area und their skills... i had to learn 'how they break into the coop' before i know how to set up our 'greenhouse coop/run... i do not reconmind using a greenhaus. i found the hard way raccoons can open zipper und pry things open. but the forum has tips on what works und things.

Sounds like a pretty good deal on the wire. Where are you located? I would be interested in a couple rolls if your a close drive to me and I can help with your gas if needed :) shoot me a pm if you would like

Back
Top Bottom