Colorado

We're over a week now and my girls are still being mean to the new one. She walks around so scared or doesn't even come out of the coop...

Yes, thinking very strongly about it. Want to touch bases to someone from there. Looking for a peaceful place that would be more affordable for hubby and I that are both disabled. Can't handle a lot of snow either.
Have always heard it "Mon-trose". It is overall a pretty rural area. Like most of Colorado that is not mountainous, Montrose is arid so it can be cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but the snow melts quickly when it falls. It is a fairly quick jaunt to Grand Junction if you need "big city" stuff, and a quick jaunt south to Ouray which they call "little Switzerland" because the mountains are so tall and beautiful. We live on the eastern plains but can access the mountains fairly quickly for recreation and I think it is the best of both worlds, Montrose would be the same way.

(Reuters) - The farming and ranching town of Deer Trail, Colorado, which boasts that it held the world's first rodeo in 1869, is now considering starting a 21st century tradition - paying bounties to anyone who shoots down an unmanned drone.
Next month, trustees of the town of 600 that lies on the high plains 55 miles east of Denver will debate an ordinance that would allow residents to purchase a $25 hunting license to shoot down "unmanned aerial vehicles."
Similar to the bounties governments once paid to hunters who killed animals that preyed on livestock, but only after they produced the ears, the town would pay $100 to anyone who can produce the fuselage and tail of a downed drone.
"Either the nose or tail may be damaged, but not both," the proposal notes.
The measure was crafted by resident Phillip Steel, a 48-year-old Army veteran with a master's degree in business administration, who acknowledges the whimsical nature of his proposal.
But the expansion of drones for commercial and government use is alarming, he said.
"We don't want to become a surveillance society," he told Reuters in a telephone interview.
He said he has not seen any drones, but that "some local ranchers" outside the town limits have seen them.
Under the proposal, hunters could legally shoot down a drone flying under 1,000 feet with a 12-gauge or smaller shotgun.
The town also would be required to establish a drone "recognition program" for shooters to properly identify the targeted aircraft.
"In no case shall a citizen engage an obviously manned aerial vehicle," the draft proposal reads.
Steel said that if the town trustees don't vote to adopt the ordinance, it will go before voters in a special election.
"Yes, it is tongue-in-cheek, but I'm going to vote for it," said Dorothy Pisel, one of the town's trustees. "It could benefit the town with all the publicity."
Steel acknowledges his idea is symbolic but he hopes it will curtail the use of drones over the 1.1-square mile burg.
"If you don't want your drone to go down, don't fly it in town," he said.
The Federal Aviation Administration did not immediately have a comment.
(Editing by Dina Kyriakidou and Phil Berlowit
The I-70 Scout (our local paper) carried this story front page. The Reuters story leaves out that Deer Trail thinks it will be a great money maker because they will sell licenses over the internet and will send out a nice certificate that people can frame. They figure if they get 1000 people to buy the licenses, that's $25,000 in revenue for the town (which is significant). I thought that was just brilliant!

We're over a week now and my girls are still being mean to the new one. She walks around so scared or doesn't even come out of the coop...

She might need some alone time, I have always heard that chickens are often worse to the nicer chickens. I am sure they are only trying to show there dominance over her and she is more docile so she just takes there abuse. I would worry about her getting ill from the stress, it can really cause a lot of harm.

You might just have to pull the top two+ meanies out of the flock for a bit and let the new one find a friend with the other ones and then, one by one starting with the lowest meanie, add them back into the flock. This process can take a few weeks. It is what we do with the horses to prevent the most serious damage to the new horse. Works with chickens as well, but sometimes, there is something wrong with the new chicken (or the one being picked on) that we can't see and they just instinctively want that chicken gone from them.

You might just have to pull the top two+  meanies out of the flock for a bit and let the new one find a friend with the other ones and then, one by one starting with the lowest meanie, add them back into the flock.  This process can take a few weeks.   It is what we do with the horses to prevent the most serious damage to the new horse.  Works with chickens as well, but sometimes, there is something wrong with the new chicken (or the one being picked on) that we can't see and they just instinctively want that chicken gone from them. 

She might need some alone time, I have always heard that chickens are often worse to the nicer chickens.  I am sure they are only trying to show there dominance over her and she is more docile so she just takes there abuse.  I would worry about her getting ill from the stress, it can really cause a lot of harm. 

Thanks guys ill try separating the meanies and just have her and a nice one. I do worry about her getting sick from the stress, I've never had to integrate chickens before so this has been tough!

You might just have to pull the top two+ meanies out of the flock for a bit and let the new one find a friend with the other ones and then, one by one starting with the lowest meanie, add them back into the flock. This process can take a few weeks. It is what we do with the horses to prevent the most serious damage to the new horse. Works with chickens as well, but sometimes, there is something wrong with the new chicken (or the one being picked on) that we can't see and they just instinctively want that chicken gone from them.

That is a great idea!

Great suggestion and comments, Mtn Margie. In flocks, herds, and packs of any creatures, the weak are eliminated by their peers because they attract predators. In confined settings, they feel more vulnerable, as they cannot escape, so are even tougher on flock mates. It seems cruel to us, but it is for the survival of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom