Colorado

Hello everyone, Thought I'd throw out some chicken news from here at camp. To start with, Things are picking up here at camp. Had a 10 egg day last week. Super excited about that. Started sharing eggs and selling to the neighbors. My best customer bought pullets from Big R last weekend. Then came over with 2 more day olds within two days. Man, hate it when that happens. DW went next door with a sample of eggs, finally. We have been trying to be responsible owners and not offend them. Turns out they come out and sit on their deck and watch our chickens when the weather is warm enough. Now I find out they want some of their own, as well. It works out kinda cool, I get to expand my flock through the neighbors. A little control over chicken math in my flock LOL.

Hey Guys, I think I need a hug.
I just bought a large wire crate off craigslist for my new chicks, to move them around easier. The ad said that they were selling all their chicken stuff for meat birds because their kids had grown out of 4-H.

I got the cage and asked if they had any killing cones. That's reasonable right? The guys said no, they never had any killing cones. I asked how they killed them. He said...and I quote, " we just used big rocks".

I almost fell over. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
OMG. How do I erase this from my minds eye?

I know that sounds gruesome.. very disturbing picture. But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pozees

Ugh. OMG. You do need a hug.
hugs.gif
Sorry. Some people just should not be allowed to have living things.

I don't know that I would be so quick to judge. I don't know that I could do it that way, but there are many ways people use to "kill" chickens. Chopping the head with an axe, wringing the neck and pulling it off, using the cone....all of these seem cruel to some people. But I doubt many people get a thrill out of finding the cruelest way to do the deed. All of these methods have been used for generations. People use what they're familiar with. (Remember, there's someone out there right now thinking we're cruel for even considering killing a chicken at all!)

By the way, apparently the way to kill a domestic meat rabbit is to strike it on the back of the head or above the nose with something blunt and heavy. These are the ONLY ways I've found to do it. I'm not sure, yet, how I'm going to handle that. I've hunted and killed (shot) wild rabbits, but I guess (for many reasons), shooting the domestic rabbit is not the proper way to harvest them. (Waste of ammo, messes up the fur....)

I still have several months to figure that out, though.

I don't know that I would be so quick to judge. I don't know that I could do it that way, but there are many ways people use to "kill" chickens. Chopping the head with an axe, wringing the neck and pulling it off, using the cone....all of these seem cruel to some people. But I doubt many people get a thrill out of finding the cruelest way to do the deed. All of these methods have been used for generations. People use what they're familiar with. (Remember, there's someone out there right now thinking we're cruel for even considering killing a chicken at all!)

By the way, apparently the way to kill a domestic meat rabbit is to strike it on the back of the head or above the nose with something blunt and heavy. These are the ONLY ways I've found to do it. I'm not sure, yet, how I'm going to handle that. I've hunted and killed (shot) wild rabbits, but I guess (for many reasons), shooting the domestic rabbit is not the proper way to harvest them. (Waste of ammo, messes up the fur....)

I will concede your point, but I think if we are raising something for the purpose of killing and eating it, we have a certain duty to the creature to take its life humanely. There are many opinions on what constitutes humanely killing a chicken, I will grant that, I just don't see using big rocks on the list.

My DH and some friends processed some meat rabbits. They had a machine that held the chickens head and severed the spinal cord at the neck. It was quick and didn't make a mess. They did basically the same thing with the chickens. They put the chicken on the ground, put a board over the neck, stood on the board, then pulled the chicken. It severs the spinal cord in a quick pop. No mess and a quick death. I think that's the most we can do to make it humane, is make it quick and the least amount of stress as possible for the animal.

Camp Leader Nice that your neighbors are getting into chickens too, and all because you have chickens! It is catching!

I know nothing about processing chickens, but will have to learn, as we will be raising some of our own this year, and of course half will end up roosters, so off to freezer camp they will go. A quick death is better than a lingering one were they are not fed, cared for, or housed properly.

Last edited:
anyone want to buy baby chicks here in colorado.. just hatched 10 with another 30 on the way .. i have ducks and geese hatching by end of the week as well.

i just dont want to ship chicks

let me know

719-291-9354

i am in calhan colorado

I'm hoping I have a broody hen. For the past two nights she has slept in a nest box rather than roosting and she spent most of today there too. She doesn't shriek at me when I come near but she is making a lot of soft clucking sounds that she never used to and puffs up her feathers. If she is truly broody I would like to see if she'll adopt the chicks I'll get from Kiowa feedstore on April 6. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom