Colorado

@uzisuzuki if they are not fully feathered they need some sort of heat source still, without electricity in the coop or the ability to run an extension cord for a heat pad brooder then I think you are stuck brooding inside. Until they are feathered or almost fully feathered at least, then at that point you could give them a huddle box to use and set up a brooder in the coop space. Just remember when you go to integrate it goes much smoother if the two parties have at least a week or longer with visual on each other but a physical barrier. Same applies to chick integrations.

Your chicks are cute and not sure who is who, defintely some young looking cockerels among them. At least in my eyes.

Last edited:
Ugh it won't stop! Lol getting very soggy here north of FoCo. I need it to quit so I can pick up the coop!
1f609.png

I went out last night to check things.

My little pullets were all in the coop, climbing on each other looking for that just right place to spend the night.

The big girls were in their usual place roosting on the top rail of the run up under the rafters of the deck. Everything was looking good until the last bird. One of my Barred Rocks was soaked. She's at the bottom of the pecking order, so life is a bit harder for her.

At any rate, I got the dog kennel out, laid a towel in the bottom, and brought her in for the night.

She settled in and clucked a few times. This morning I took out, and she strolled down the steps and rejoined the flock, nice and dry.

Cold is cold....but a wet cold is a penetrating cold.

I'm such a softy....

Last edited:
My pulleys are about 14 weeks old can I feed them whole corn (dryed)

If they have plenty of small rocks in their gizzards, they will be fine. Don't give them very much or they will get fat and not be able to lay well. Just a very small handful. Scratch usually has cracked corn in it and milo, wheat, that size of grain.....

wet, wet out here in Denver....

It's much needed and I'm hoping to stay out of the major drought we had a few years back. I remind myself of that each time I complain about the (darn) precipitation!

The chicks are 4 weeks old now. We are brooding indoors and I am ready for them to be outdoors! Once this rain is gone, I'm planning on painting the inside of the coop. I want 5 layers of paint on the floor and at least 2 on the walls. The list of things to do is never ending, but I think that once the coop gets painted and the run gets finished, we will be able to put the girls out - at least during the day.

Funny side note. I went in to clean the brooder by myself the other day. Normally, I take the lid off and my daughter pulls all the chick out and puts them in the box. The time, I forgot to call her. I went in with my hand gloved in a gray disposable glove and you would have thought I was MURDERING the chicks one by one after torturing them mercilessly! After I took the glove off they let me pick them up and were not so "chicken". It was hilarious but also a good reminder of chicken psychology. They are chicken!

Back
Top Bottom