Colorado

Just curious how many eggs ya'll are gettin each day? We have been low due to the heat and the girls eating less due to the heat. Out of 14 birds in Englewood we are getting around 8 eggs a day and for the three in Boulder typically 2 (one girl is broody). That is another thing that is odd this year, tons of Broodies. At one point in Englewood we had 4 Broodies and just when the last one stopped being broody the first one started again. Why would they be broody in this heat? I would think sitting on eggs in the heat wouldn't be my idea of a good time, but then again I am no chicken.

Just curious how many eggs ya'll are gettin each day? We have been low due to the heat and the girls eating less due to the heat. Out of 14 birds in Englewood we are getting around 8 eggs a day and for the three in Boulder typically 2 (one girl is broody). That is another thing that is odd this year, tons of Broodies. At one point in Englewood we had 4 Broodies and just when the last one stopped being broody the first one started again. Why would they be broody in this heat? I would think sitting on eggs in the heat wouldn't be my idea of a good time, but then again I am no chicken.

I've got 2 that went broody again & then with the 2 that died plus the heat, I'm only getting about 3 a day from the 5 remaining. I keep wondering why they keep going broody when the temps in the coop have gotten into the 100's on the hotter days.

My (almost all) 3 month old chicks got a bigger grow out pen recently. I still can't get the 2 flocks to mingle with each other when they free range, except with Ronan trying his moves on everything that looks vaguely like another chicken. I haven't tried actually integrating them since 3 of the baby flock are male & because 1 of the males has a deformation (he's also not yet 3 months old & still relatively small). After losing my 2 best hens, the adult flock is not very stable, so trying to integrate now seemed ill advised. I'll most likely just wait until I have the Bro Pen set up to see which males will get along & which won't. Maybe stick the younger males in with the adult hens one at a time so they can teach them how not to be jerks. Mercury loves to do that to Ronan.

It's got to be the heat. I'm in the foothills, and when it gets over 80 here it's too hot!! My production is down right now too, but I have 3 that have gone broody. Maybe the heat is bringing out the broody?

Glad to hear it is just not us with the eggs.....the heat has been brutal, 102 yesterday at our spot in Boulder.

Also on a side note I am having issues with BYC forum, don't get the option to post pictures or the editor doesn't come up at all for me right now, so I can't add any smiley faces or nothing. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Last edited:
Egg production is down here as well. About 1/2 of what is expected from them. I too have suffered the broody business. Itty is back at it too. I fear she will die from continuing to be so broody. I keep tossing her into the run just to see her come flying back to the nest.

No issues with the forum BUT last year I had the same problems you are experiencing COChix.

I finally finished my guinea run for Lucy and Tom, and the 5 guinea fowl are coming soon, we still have to get the roof on it but for now it's perfect. It's been around 94 degrees in the Four Corners area.

I've been experiencing those post option issues a lot lately, but I thought it was because I use my iPad most of the time & not my desktop. On my iPhone right now & I don't have any image/emoji/etc options & it also won't let me quote anyone. Not sure what the issue is.

Glad to hear it is just not us with the eggs.....the heat has been brutal, 102 yesterday at our spot in Boulder.

Also on a side note I am having issues with BYC forum, don't get the option to post pictures or the editor doesn't come up at all for me right now, so I can't add any smiley faces or nothing. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

I'm having the same problem, unable to pist images or access any of the posting options. I went into support and started a thread to see if there was a problem on the site and was basically told that I'm the only one having this problem.

Back
Top Bottom