columbian ameraucana~possible? genetic gurus....

Quote:
Lisa, is he yours?
eta- would love to see the pic
wink.png

Last edited:
Johnny,

Don't the wheatens carry a columbian gene? When I have crossed buff with wheatens I occassionally get buff cockerels with black hackles and dark tail feathers.

Don't the wheatens carry a columbian gene? When I have crossed buff with wheatens I occassionally get buff cockerels with black hackles and dark tail feathers.

The wheatens probably don't have columbian but buffs will.
smile.png

Quote:
hmm, I have 3 silver ameraucana pullets with no roo, would they work?

I know where you can get some superior Light Sussex. They are not cheap but would work great with your Silver hens.

Hi!
Here he is:
345141238.jpg

345141241.jpg

I'm not sure *exactly* what columbian is, but I really liked their markings.
The girls from the cross all layed light blue eggs, so he probably carries the blue egg gene.

Most of the boys had huge weird blobby combs (I think that's why I quit with them), but I did hang on to this blue-whatever roo.

What colors might I expect if I put him with a blue Am' girl?

smile.png

Lisa

I get lots of columbians in my birchen ameraucana project. What I have been told by another breeder is that silver basically a columbian gene linked with an extended black gene, thus turning the white body black with silver hackles. Remove the extended black and you have a columbian.

Don't quote me on this, I am no expert on how colours work, I know some basic stuff but once you get into details like that I kinda sorta get it but don't at the same time. Seems to make sense to me, certainly explains the columbian coloured chicks I keep getting.

I have crossed silvers with blues and blacks and crossed the most birchen looking offspring of that and get some quite nice columbians. I had about 6 hens over the past 2 years, beautiful columbians with nice beards, blue legs, blue eggs and almost clear markings. Just a hint of salmon colouring in the chest area but thats it. I hatched a couple dozen columbian type pattern birds but those 6 were the cleanest in markings and just stunning.

If I liked that pattern I would have changed from Birchen to that(2 yrs ago I got 3 columbian coloured chicks for ever 1 birchen coloured one....), but I gave all the hens to a friend who wanted some blue egglayers.
She kinda distributed them all over with her constant requests for unique looking laying hens.

Quote:
It is free, how good can it be? All these little lists and buttons to push...
It isn't even in english. It doesn't know anything about my chickens.
You have to spend too much time playing with it to learn anything from it.
And those stupid pictures, they don't teach me anything. They only make me forget to read the descriptions.
And what stupid descriptions they are. I don't see any resemblance with the actual colornames at our local exhibition. What the ... is a groundcolor and a patterncolor?
Does he even have a clue how to make a new chickencolor?
None of the experts ever said a good word about it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom