Chaunchie

Chirping
Mar 22, 2021
Hi fellow chicken people! I have a question regarding flocks sharing a run. Chicken math has gotten me too many times and it’s time to downsize. I currently have 2 separate flocks. I am rehoming half of my hens.

I am looking to combine my flocks where they use the same run. I have two coops, and two very large chicken runs currently. However, neither of my coops are large enough to house/sleep the remaining chickens.

My question is, has anyone had two separate coops where the birds have access to the same run? My hope is they can choose to sleep in either coop they like so everyone has adequate space to sleep.

My concern is that they will all pile into one coop no matter what, or they won’t fully integrate amongst eachother if they are spending their nights sleeping separately. With my set up, the coops would sandwich the chicken run between them.

I would love to hear about any of your experience with your combined flocks using the same run space!

Thank you so much!

They will probably continue using their original coops as chickens hate change. Two coops may actually aid in the integration process as much aggression can occur around roosting time.

I have 2 coops and 2 runs to help different age groups integrate as the chickens mature. I make sure the younger girls can get away from older chickens if they need to, and I've noticed that they begin to mix within about 3-4 weeks. I would say just make sure there's room to avoid each other if needed🙂

I have 2 coops and 2 runs to help different age groups integrate as the chickens mature. I make sure the younger girls can get away from older chickens if they need to, and I've noticed that they begin to mix within about 3-4 weeks. I would say just make sure there's room to avoid each other if needed🙂
Thank you! Thankfully all these ladies are around the same age

They will probably continue using their original coops as chickens hate change. Two coops may actually aid in the integration process as much aggression can occur around roosting time.
Thank you! This is what I’m hoping for. Also hoping they all become buddies during the day

Back
Top Bottom