chickenchicklady

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2019
Building my dream chicken coop. And although it’s a crappy time to build with lumber prices being so high, I’m rather excited for the finished product. Stay tuned. I will post pictures as I go along. Some may say the finished product is over the top. If you’re one of those people, move along. Some women have “she-sheds”, I have my chicken coop. 🤣

Attachments

• EBBE1B80-F60C-4FFD-8B27-450312C292C4.jpeg
    EBBE1B80-F60C-4FFD-8B27-450312C292C4.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 67
Not sure of dimensions. I told husband how much sq/ft per bird and he just made it. I currently have 50 chicks, and 15 full grown laying hens. However, all the chicks I got were straight run, so I’m expecting to get rid of at least half of them seeing as they will be roosters. The coop was built for 50 full grown chickens with 3 sq/ft per bird inside the coop. With extra space for storage, or if I ever want to expand my flock. We have big plans for it. I’m so excited for them. I hope they love their new coop!
Ooh! This looks cool! :pop
What are the dimensions going to be? How many chickens do you have/want?
^^ Just out of curiosity

Not sure of dimensions. I told husband how much sq/ft per bird and he just made it. I currently have 50 chicks, and 15 full grown laying hens. However, all the chicks I got were straight run, so I’m expecting to get rid of at least half of them seeing as they will be roosters. The coop was built for 50 full grown chickens with 3 sq/ft per bird inside the coop. With extra space for storage, or if I ever want to expand my flock. We have big plans for it. I’m so excited for them. I hope they love their new coop!
Are your chickens bantams or standard? Not sure where you live or what the climate is like there but if there are winters were chickens will be stuck in the coop for a while or potentially stuck. They recommend at least 4 sq ft per chicken of floor space if they are standards. If they are bantams then what you have at the 3 is great. But that is 150 sq ft of floor space at 3 sq ft a chicken. which would be like a 10'x15' coop. at the 4 sq ft that would be 200 sq ft that you need so 20x10 for an example. could just be the picture but that doesn't look like it. Looks like it may be 4' on the side shown not sure on the other side but possibly 8' which only gives you about 32 sq ft of space so way too small or 50 chickens or even the 15 that you have already that are full grown. May want to check the measurements before you get too far into the build.

Must be the picture, because It’s certainly a lot bigger than 4’ wide. 🙂
He made it 10x15. Most of my chicks are bantam. And we don’t have bad winters. All of our chickens were outside all winter, even in the week where we had negative temps.. plus they will have under the coop and part of the run that is covered and hopefully protected from the snow if there ever is a bad winter🙂
Are your chickens bantams or standard? Not sure where you live or what the climate is like there but if there are winters were chickens will be stuck in the coop for a while or potentially stuck. They recommend at least 4 sq ft per chicken of floor space if they are standards. If they are bantams then what you have at the 3 is great. But that is 150 sq ft of floor space at 3 sq ft a chicken. which would be like a 10'x15' coop. at the 4 sq ft that would be 200 sq ft that you need so 20x10 for an example. could just be the picture but that doesn't look like it. Looks like it may be 4' on the side shown not sure on the other side but possibly 8' which only gives you about 32 sq ft of space so way too small or 50 chickens or even the 15 that you have already that are full grown. May want to check the measurements before you get too far into the build.

Must be the picture, because It’s certainly a lot bigger than 4’ wide. 🙂
He made it 10x15. Most of my chicks are bantam. And we don’t have bad winters. All of our chickens were outside all winter, even in the week where we had negative temps.. plus they will have under the coop and part of the run that is covered and hopefully protected from the snow if there ever is a bad winter🙂
sounds great and nice size. Must be the picture that makes it look smaller. :)

That's the thing about pictures, they are very deceiving, especially size with nothing to reference. I'm in the same boat-we decided recently to add more coops to the property, just when lumber prices skyrocket! :(
Yeah it’s insane how expensive lumber is. But better to do it now than when they go up again I guess. My husband should’ve listened to me last year when I said we should build it ha ha

Back
Top Bottom