Companion Planting

I bought a bird of paradise on clearance and read about it After I bought it. It says the plants likes humidity but I live in the desert so I planted other plants with it so their evaporation will give it some addl push. Not sure it will work but I’m hoping it will. Strawberries and lavender do well together. One of my pots has leftover extra plants I ran out of room for. Curious to see how that turns out.

I was gonna do the classic three sisters planting this year. Besides that, I'm planting a ton of marigolds and nasturtium around near almost everything I can. There's a huge pdf of what likes to be planted by what here. I'm not taking it as gospel, as I don't think any of these companion plantings have ever been studied. But it's somewhere to start out with.

I was gonna do the classic three sisters planting this year. Besides that, I'm planting a ton of marigolds and nasturtium around near almost everything I can. There's a huge pdf of what likes to be planted by what here. I'm not taking it as gospel, as I don't think any of these companion plantings have ever been studied. But it's somewhere to start out with.
There's anecdotal evidence for companion planting, but it isn't 100%.

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just wanted to add that I've had great success with planting marigolds and basil in with my tomatoes. Not sure where I heard this, but ever since I started doing it, I haven't had issues with aphids or other bugs. Between each tomato plant, I put either a basil or marigold plant, alternating. It's also good for pollinators, and I have plenty of basil to dry and use all year long.

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just wanted to add that I've had great success with planting marigolds and basil in with my tomatoes. Not sure where I heard this, but ever since I started doing it, I haven't had issues with aphids or other bugs. Between each tomato plant, I put either a basil or marigold plant, alternating. It's also good for pollinators, and I have plenty of basil to dry and use all year long.
Planting basil next to tomatoes supposedly improves the flavor of the tomatoes.

Marigolds are lauded as pest deterrents, but they also attract pollinators.

This year I have planted borage between the tomatoes, and yesterday I planted basil between everything else. I planted marigolds between the peppers and Summer squash, too.
IMG_20230505_172932432_HDR.jpg

This year I have planted borage between the tomatoes, and yesterday I planted basil between everything else. I planted marigolds between the peppers and Summer squash, too.
View attachment 3495203
That's kind of what I did with my tomato plantings. I planted a few marigolds at the corners and a row of 5 basil plants between the two rows of 6 tomato plants. I scattered a few zinnia plants around too. For pollinators, I guess. And I had them so I had to stick them somewhere. LOL
IMG_0765.JPG

View attachment 3495203
Oh I didn't know that about the flavor. That's a bonus! My tomatoes do always taste great. :)

And sounds like you have a great setup! I actually just bought some borage seeds yesterday, so I'm going to plant that as well. I forget why I read those are good to plant in the veggie garden, but they are. At the very least, they will attract pollinators.

Good luck with your veggies! They look great. :)

Back
Top Bottom