Comparing quail sizes

We have all been talking about the size comparison, here is picture proof!
Three JMF fresh processed adults on left then I thawed out a package of my frozen "mixed coturnix" and placed three on the right. Look at the difference!!

Three JMF fresh processed adults on left then I thawed out a package of my frozen "mixed coturnix" and placed three on the right. Look at the difference!!
Mmmmmmmm. That reminds me... I have some roos I have to cull tomorrow afternoon.

Placed an order for 50 of the JMF C line eggs. Wont be shipped until April though. I couldnt wait so i placed 8 of my locally bought quail's eggs in the incubator to practice with.

WOW Mom Hunter that is Huge difference My first Bought Quail Allegidly Jumbos where 1 yr old and all had bad legs spotty livers and so on .
I didnt eat them those where bought Local from Coos bay ,

MY JMF lines where Jumbos just did 14 roos Yesterday and 1 hen Culled her because she jumped out and gashed to the meat her belly.
anyway weight on those birds where 15 oz and 16 oz and only 9 weeks old the roos where all in with hens so i did loose some weight

I do give some treats like apple , fruit and oat meal . LOL they love it all

WOW Mom Hunter that is Huge difference My first Bought Quail Allegidly Jumbos where 1 yr old and all had bad legs spotty livers and so on . 
I didnt eat them those where bought Local from Coos bay ,

MY JMF lines where Jumbos just did 14 roos Yesterday and 1 hen Culled her because she jumped out and gashed to the meat her belly.
anyway weight on those birds where 15 oz and 16 oz and only 9 weeks old the roos where all in with hens so i did loose some weight 

I do give some treats like apple , fruit and oat meal . LOL they love it all 

You must be doing something right to get those weights. I haven't weighed any of my JMF adults to see where they are after winter. The three in the pic where the ones that something got hold of their leg and broke it through the bottom of the cage.
Luckily no more injured birds after I out the second layer of bottom barrier under the cages.
I have two settings of around 60 eggs each in the bator now. I'm keeping all of the first hatch to select someone breeders for the summer.

Three JMF fresh processed adults on left then I thawed out a package of my frozen "mixed coturnix" and placed three on the right. Look at the difference

That is a nice comparison, I didn't have any of my old line left to make a direct comparison like that....I had already eaten them lol. Hope you don't lose any more birds that way, it is always devastating to come out and find something like that has happened. Have to say seeing all the recipes and quail reminds me to go get some out of the freezer ;)

I candled tonight my 40ish JMF eggs I have in the incubator to choose my next F1 generation from and all but two are developing great. They go into lockdown next week and I hope do some weekly comparisons on this group.

Quote: In the Winter time i have them in a 4x5 green house Brooder with a light they get to stay warm and eat better . in summer i have the out side ones the Green house brooder is used for the chicks Solid Bottom and cleaned Daily with Shavings put down on the really cold days luke warm water to help the blood and warming of the bodies and lots of checking in on them if i cant be in there with a t shirt I add extra light for warmth only they love it and its safe for them your birds are beautiful all we have local for Game bird feed is Payback turkey pheasant and its Horrible so i give apples and fruit and veggies as well as some grains oat meal and Millet and seeds . there is a photo or 2 here of them in the brooder it works my gh is 25 by 50 up agaist the house during the night i do put a pad down to help keep the cold air out they are fun i do check on them hrly and find myself loving them I miss my chickens but after getting those sick turkeys that ruined my favorite birds the Gifts from John in NY I wont get any more till i get out of Oregon too wet and too many issues people here cull by medication making the issues a super bug, MG is no fun my roo used to sit in my arms like a baby and want belly rubs , that was a huge loss only rooster i had that was tame and he was a gift

Last edited:
For any Oregon peeps out there I think I'm going to go up to the Spring Poultry Swap. If anyone else is going and is interested in getting some eggs or just want to meet up and talk birds just pm me.

Last edited:
I just started looking into raising quail yesterday and I was so happy to find this thread. Do you think that quail are better than chickens for food production of meat and eggs? Can you free range them and put them in cages at night? Are they hard to catch? How are they in terms of generating food for us compared to food for them compared with chicken? Would it be hard for me to mix my own food for them? I can't use commercially prepared food. Some family members and I have crazy food allergies and quail seem like a really good solution for us.

Ive never free Ranged mine But you could make them a Cage with wire and a house on one end and move them from place to place .
My yard is all Mud due to the chickens and i like the quail easy to keep and less issues . i have a hard time finding people that test everything for NPIP on chickens and turkeys but for Quail I found Robby at Mariejamesfarms I highly recommend them . and you wont be disapointed

Back
Top Bottom