compensation for dog killed chickens

something to remember is that if that dog got to your chickens, some other dog can.. You need to make sure that you have done all you can to protect your flock as well. as asking him to keep his dog away from your property. gosh I hope you have a better neighbor than I do.

I have been on both ends.. had a neighbor that his dog came and killed 3 akc italian Greyhound dogs on my property. each one was worth $1,200- $1,500 . and a long coat show male that we paid $3000 for yeah I know lot of money.. took me forever to save for him litteraly over a year.. and his dog killed him.. . not a nice guy right.he never paid and he knew that we didn't have the money to sue him.. very frustrating. but I know that now all my dogs are predator safe. especially with toy breeds. shoot now I worry more about hawks getting them than a roaming dog. ( this neighbor is gone .. yeahh so glad)

. and I have a dog that has supposedly killed sheep behind me.. of course with him hes a real ..ugh cant say it... If I had been smart I would have told him I wanted the carcases,, I have just finished paying $1,200. for dead sheep that he couldn't prove my dog even killed, just that he had been on the property. and he even admitted to me and the animal control that he had just killed 3 coyotes that am... but yet I had to pay for the dead sheep that my dog wasn't even in the pasture 3 of them were in.. even the animal control officer said that he only saw 3 dead bodies. and that when he inspected my dog there was no blood on him at all. hind sight is 20/20 though. but what gets me is I paid him all that money .. took me 24 weeks @ $ 50.00 a week ( which is a lot when your on disability) and he had wanted me to split the cost of replacing the old fence line that is between us. ( yes his sheep keep coming onto my property too.) and instead of using the money i paid him for the sheep to redo the fence and keep his animals safe... he decided to rent other property next to us and he put up a fence there.. while the fence is still down on our prop .line.. ahhhhhh... ugh that man is ..... anyway. I think I have paid my share of keeping his animals safe and on his property as well as keeping my dog off his property and his sheep from my property. ( the man is rich too, so its not even the money.. i dont mean hes well off.. no Rich) it was simply a degrading tactic. to keep me intimidated of him/ which I am very intimatated by him unfortuanalty even knowing I am I letteraly can speak to the man i get so scared and nervous) oh well Im younger and Ill out live them both.. hahah.. and Im not going anywhere. so blusssss to his intimidation..
wow sorry didn't mean to get on a soap box...

My neighbor's dog just killed six of our chickens. Four were chicks just last year and their eggs have just sized up in the last couple of months. One was an older hen and the other, the roo. My neighbor is quite remorseful and I am wondering what compensation should be asked? I don't want to "soak" him but geez...you raise them under heat lamps for about 5 weeks, you wait about 6 months to get an egg, you wait for the eggs to get bigger to sell them, you clean the coop, you run the electric cord out to add light and keep water from freezing, I feed organic....These hens were on a roll laying beautiful eggs that I sell. What is fair? I guess nothing is fair for the poor chickens.
I went out to my chicken yard last Sunday and 12 of my 13 laying hens were dead. Fortunately, my neighbor has a ring doorbell and filmed two dogs coming across the street and down my driveway. The same two dogs killed two goats and injured to others. The sheriff's department took custody of the dogs and there will be a hearing on Tuesday to decide what to do. I would contact your local sheriff's department and have them take custody of the neighbor's dog. You are certainly due compensation from these neglectful dog owners.

I'm sure neighbour is remorseful I wouldn't take them for loads if u want to get on in the future was your chickens free ranging? Were they on your land? I know it's upsetting I would ask them to get you some more chickens or chicks tbh xx

My neighbor's dog just killed six of our chickens. Four were chicks just last year and their eggs have just sized up in the last couple of months. One was an older hen and the other, the roo. My neighbor is quite remorseful and I am wondering what compensation should be asked? I don't want to "soak" him but geez...you raise them under heat lamps for about 5 weeks, you wait about 6 months to get an egg, you wait for the eggs to get bigger to sell them, you clean the coop, you run the electric cord out to add light and keep water from freezing, I feed organic....These hens were on a roll laying beautiful eggs that I sell. What is fair? I guess nothing is fair for the poor chickens.
Been there, done that.
Neighbors dog killed 6 of my chickens.
He was also remorseful, but I was like, ok. I should’ve been outside watching them, and took the fall.

2 weeks later, that same dog came back and took a chunk off my other hens back, and so I put my foot down, he was going to pay the vet bill, which he did.
Had to keep that girl in a dog crate in my bathroom in the tub for 4 weeks until she healed (it was summer and the flies were bad).

All of my neighbors know everyone else’s business, of course.....yet,they don’t learn anything from it. So now I’m having to deal with ANOTHER neighbors boxer puppy running amuck, chasing my chickens.
Unfortunately, it’s come to the point where, even tho it’s not the pups fault that he has shitty owners, but I sit outside wi5 my loaded 380. In nc, if an animal chases your poultry, you have the legal right to shoot.
They can learn one way or the other. And I’m sick of negligent dog owners.

I just watched a rerunn of Judge Judy and she awarded the chicken owner $100.00 for each chicken killed.
I thought that was fair.
Funny story:
One day a friend of my Husbands drove up in the yard and let his 2 black labs out of the cab of the truck. My DH said " you know Bill, I hope your dogs dont kill my $500.00 chicken"
Bill looked startled and said: "YOU have a chicken worth $500.00 dollars!"
MY DH said" you dont get it Bill, any chicken your dogs kill is going to be my $500.00 chicken"
Bill whistled the dogs back in the truck

Sorry for the loss of your birds!

Back
Top Bottom