Condensation on Incubator Window...Is it Bad??

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
Hello! I've read a few posts where folks hatching were upset because there was condensation on an incubator window. We are going into lock down in a very dry ,high altitude area. I put in our new water resevoir to get the humidity up to 70%. We have a mini-cabinet incubator going right now, it is a test. The eggs have candled well (I think), now we do have condensation on the window a few hours after putting in the larger water container. Am I overdoing humidity? I do not quite understand why condensation may be bad. We have condensation on our house windows when we wake up in the morning, too. THANKS for letting me know.

If you add hot water at lockdown it is going to cause condensation. 70%, IMHO is too high, I drown some bantys last hatch with a high humidity like that. This hatch I am trying 60%..... Good luck!!!

ETA: I live in the Mojave Desert - VERY dry here.

Last edited:
Does your incubator have extra vent holes to open for the hatch??

I put mine to about 60-65% for the lockdown/hatch, but as soon as the chicks start zipping they ADD more humidity --- it got up to about 75% for a lot of the hatches.

If yours was already running high, I fear your later-hatching chicks might drown as soon as the extra huimidity is added. If you have vent holes, open them up a little and try to reduce the humidity slightly.

Thanks, Everybody! I did use hot water so the condensation is down a little bit. I am going to use a smaller water container and try to get it at about 60-65%. Does that sound right? We are just so dry here, that I am scared to wake up to 40% or something. Yeah! What fun to have chicken loving friends up so late.

Last edited:
Quote:
Even if you wake up to low humidity, if there are no pips you can open the bator and add sponges. It will be fine!
big_smile.png

Quote:
That did happen to me, one of my sponges dried out overnight, but thankfully it was before the pips started.
I put the sponge below a vent hole though, and just added water to it through the vent hole with a drinking straw and maranade injector syringe.

THANK YOU! So, when the first pip comes...I sleep no more. Our last hatch in a borrowed LG was awful. Two fully grown chicks, absorbed yolk, just did not get out. I put the first pip under our broody hen as she successfully hatched the pip before, but the second never wiggled out. Then on day 24, I found one had pipped in the night...I was too late to help. NOT THIS TIME.

Back
Top Bottom