Condominio de Pollo ideas

I also find it well drawn but quite blurry. I think it says it is raised two feet off the ground? I would go either higher or lower. ... actually, "I" would go lower but if you want it raised, I think you want raised higher than 2'. 2' is just enough for it to be awkward to use - hard for people to crawl under but not for animals, a bit low for the chickens to use except for laying eggs or hiding from danger.

Separately, how/why did you choose that pitch for the roof?
I didn't realize it came out so blurry, probably a combo of the coffee and the poor quality camera... 🤭 So, I have it @ 3' off the ground, for more run access under the coop, and because we are in a high predator area. We did a pitch roof because we are doing rain water catchment, and it would provide another area for collecting. Everything we have has the pitched roof.

According to the usual guidelines, 12 hens should have:
  • 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof but risks social problems because subordinate hens need to be able to pass the dominant hens at a respectful distance.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
So 8x8 is good and 2 roosts would be good -- though as noted above they shouldn't be on top of the nests and diagonal roosts suit the human sense of aesthetics better than they suit chickens' needs. :)

I suggest that you raise your ventilation to the very peak of the roof -- heat and ammonia both rise -- and that you extend your roof overhangs generously to shelter your vents from blowing rain and snow and to give you a protected place to stand when gathering eggs.

Good job on the front drop down for the nests -- so much less likely to leak!

I suggest a larger access door so that, if necessary, you can get into the coop. It's never wise to have any area in your chicken-keeping facility that you can't reach in far enough to touch every square inch (my 4x4 coop I have to get my 6-foot son to do that for me).
Since the roof is a straight pitch, I incorporated a 4 inch gap around the entire building that I will staple chicken wire. With the windows, will this be enough to vent it? We get crazy hot humid days in the summer, and below 0 in the winter.

... did a pitch roof because we are doing rain water catchment, and it would provide another area for collecting. Everything we have has the pitched roof.
That it is pitched wasn't my question. I wondered why it is such a steep pitch. Although, looking at it again today, I think it isn't as steep as I thought.
Since the roof is a straight pitch, I incorporated a 4 inch gap around the entire building that I will staple chicken wire. With the windows, will this be enough to vent it? We get crazy hot humid days in the summer, and below 0 in the winter.
A four inch gap times 8 feet times 4 sides is 8 square feet of ventilation. That is enough for 8 chickens. (Correction: ten square feet, ten chickens.) If you leave the windows open all winter, they count, otherwise they don't, in the winter anyway.

Have you considered a Woods' open air coop? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/woods-style-house-in-the-winter.445004/#post-5566206

My coop is based on some of Prince T Wood's other plans - it is a shed with one side open rather than the half- monitor. It isn't quite as good but is good enough and much easier to build.

Either way, chicken wire will keep chickens in. Half inch hardware cloth will keep raccoons and weasels out also.

Edit to add. I did the math wrong. It's ten square feet... ten chickens.

Last edited:
I would, it will free up wall space for roosts and poo bards. Also IMO I would not keep water or food in the coop. It raises humidity and invites pests. That's just my 2 cents

Food and water in the coop is not the issue. It is the containers and placement that is. A hanging food container or wall mounted one is best to keep it off the ground. Nothing that can be tipped over.

While humidity is a huge issue with chickens , it's not the feed water that causes most of the humidity. It is the poop. Water feeder is one of the easiest humidity fixable issues. A water pipe system with water nipples controls the amount of water that falls to the ground as it is a closed system. Open water feeder will allow evaporation into the air aka humidity. plus they can be tipped over. Having a pipe system will also make it easy to have a catch troth to take away any dripping.

Also one thing you may be forgetting. During times like cold weather or storms or anytime the ladies need to be confined in the coop you will need to feed and water them. Better you already have it all set up than to rush and cause those humidity issues.

Food and water in the coop is not the issue. It is the containers and placement that is. A hanging food container or wall mounted one is best to keep it off the ground. Nothing that can be tipped over.

While humidity is a huge issue with chickens , it's not the feed water that causes most of the humidity. It is the poop. Water feeder is one of the easiest humidity fixable issues. A water pipe system with water nipples controls the amount of water that falls to the ground as it is a closed system. Open water feeder will allow evaporation into the air aka humidity. plus they can be tipped over. Having a pipe system will also make it easy to have a catch troth to take away any dripping.

Also one thing you may be forgetting. During times like cold weather or storms or anytime the ladies need to be confined in the coop you will need to feed and water them. Better you already have it all set up than to rush and cause those humidity issues.
I understand all these things, I also know that rodents can climb. I have quite cold winters at times, and also have an outside pvc water system, 1 of 3 others and have very little issues with them. It also gets the ladies outside instead of being cooped up for weeks or months on end. It's the OP's choice how they choose to manage their flock

I understand all these things, I also know that rodents can climb. I have quite cold winters at times, and also have an outside pvc water system, 1 of 3 others and have very little issues with them. It also gets the ladies outside instead of being cooped up for weeks or months on end. It's the OP's choice how they choose to manage their flock
Your point was "I would not keep water or food in the coop." why? "It raises humidity and invites pests."

Again done right the water is not the main concern for humidity. So there is no reason not to have water in the coop.

Pests are going to be there if they are in the area. a closed coop with with proper ventilation covered with hardware cloth will will keep them out. Whether they climb or not.

As you have stated you have all that outside and I have had both outside and inside and have never had any problem with humidity or pests inside the coop.

Not sure where "It also gets the ladies outside instead of being cooped up for weeks or months on end. " fits in all this.

Your point was "I would not keep water or food in the coop." why? "It raises humidity and invites pests."

Again done right the water is not the main concern for humidity. So there is no reason not to have water in the coop.

Pests are going to be there if they are in the area. a closed coop with with proper ventilation covered with hardware cloth will will keep them out. Whether they climb or not.

As you have stated you have all that outside and I have had both outside and inside and have never had any problem with humidity or pests inside the coop.

Not sure where "It also gets the ladies outside instead of being cooped up for weeks or months on end. " fits in all this.
Not here to argue with you, here to help the OP in anyway I can. Like I said before IMO...now back to the thread 😁😉

airflow-crayon-png.3007334

This is what kind of airflow you're looking for.

A four inch gap times 8 feet times 4 sides is 8 square feet of ventilation. That is enough for 8 chickens. (Correction: ten square feet, ten chickens.) If you leave the windows open all winter, they count, otherwise they don't, in the winter anyway.

@saysfaa Glad you answered this. I have internet problems right now.

Back
Top Bottom