Confused about Wazine 17.

Apparently Wazine 17 and Wazine 34 are discontinued effective immediately. You might to still be able to get some at your local store to purchase what they have left and you might still be able to find some online.
Think it happened back in January, but does anyone know why it was discontinued?

Think it happened back in January, but does anyone know why it was discontinued?

I took a look earlier today and did not find an obvious answer. It seems to be made by a smaller (versus giant multinational) corporation, so maybe they plan to sell the formula and rights to someone else? Who knows.

Piperazine has been around a very long time, compared to other products, and has been very inexpensive. At one time it was the only (safe!) product available against roundworms. It's never been as effective as fenbendazole or the newer products, at least in dogs and cats. I have no idea if it's better in poultry, but would use fenbendazole instead, especially now that it's acceptable.
Mary

I just purchased Wazine17 at our local TSC a little over a week ago. I had no idea it was discontinued.

I saw round worms in my hens droppings and treated her with Wazine17. I have read that I need to follow up with another wormer, any suggestions on what to use?

I have 43 total..... 34 hens, 4 roosters, and 5 guinea

Use the Wazine again. Following up with another wormer is *not* the correct way to deworm.

Thank you! Wait the 7-10 Days after the initial treatment for the follow up dose?

Do you recommend an egg withdrawal period? I have read a lot about it and some say 14 days where others say it is not necessary.

See the first paragraph on page 7... I know it references Australia and Canada, not the US...does that really make a difference?

https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.e...ng the treatment of backyard poultry 2015.pdf

"Piperazine—To our knowledge, only 1 study64 has

been published evaluating the depletion of piperazine

in the eggs of treated hens. In Australia and Canada,

piperazine is approved for 1-time use in laying hens at

doses ranging from 130 to 200 mg/kg (59 to 91 mg/lb)

with a 0-day egg and meat withdrawal."

Back
Top Bottom