Confused on what to feed.

Thomaswgordon

Songster
May 27, 2022
Maryland
Hey everyone, we have 15/16 week chickens some of which look close to laying. I’ve seen some squats and definitely pinker/redder combs and waddles. We’re finishing up a bag of start and grow which they’ve been on from the beginning.

I was originally thinking of just going to layer crumble but just saw a bunch of posts on flock raiser with oyster shells. I’m at a loss and way overwhelmed on what I should do. Should I just switch to layer feed now or buy more start and grow until they lay. I like the idea of layer feed as I don’t have to worry about supplemental calcium such as oyster shells.

Also, I have never provided any additional grit aside from what they get in the 10x10 run. Should I get some actual grit and supply it? And is there a real difference between pellets or crumble-or is crumble fine if they tolerate it.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Attachments

• D30C2AF6-9C3D-4874-99EE-BA9F775D1741.jpeg
    D30C2AF6-9C3D-4874-99EE-BA9F775D1741.jpeg
    878.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 0F9E1330-CAF7-4C33-8105-0091773B2E69.jpeg
    0F9E1330-CAF7-4C33-8105-0091773B2E69.jpeg
    939.9 KB · Views: 9
I use 20% Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets, & 20% Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells on the side.

A bag of Oyster shells lasts quite a while, so you don't have to by it each time you need feed. So, this way saves money, & let's the hens regulate their own calcium intake. I put my oyster shells in a small hanging feeder(s).

I use 20% Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellets, & 20% Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shells on the side.

A bag of Oyster shells lasts quite a while, so you don't have to by it each time you need feed. So, this way saves money, & let's the hens regulate their own calcium intake. I put my oyster shells in a small hanging feeder(s).
So you use both crumble and pellets? Because of the amount of chickens you have or what? And ok so like the small 1-1.5qt chick feeder would work? Or are the holes too small for adult hens to get in?

So you use both crumble and pellets? Because of the amount of chickens you have or what? And ok so like the small 1-1.5qt chick feeder would work? Or are the holes too small for adult hens to get in?
I use a 6-7lb feeder for the oyster shells, with a metal hanging handle.

I have alot of chickens, got do another head count to get the exact number.

I use crumbles for a 60lb gravity feeder in my coop with mixed birds(Chickens, Turkeys, & Guineafowl), it flows easier.

Pellets I use in regular type feeders, & a no waste pellet feeder.

Hey everyone, we have 15/16 week chickens some of which look close to laying. I’ve seen some squats and definitely pinker/redder combs and waddles. We’re finishing up a bag of start and grow which they’ve been on from the beginning.

I was originally thinking of just going to layer crumble but just saw a bunch of posts on flock raiser with oyster shells. I’m at a loss and way overwhelmed on what I should do. Should I just switch to layer feed now or buy more start and grow until they lay. I like the idea of layer feed as I don’t have to worry about supplemental calcium such as oyster shells.

Also, I have never provided any additional grit aside from what they get in the 10x10 run. Should I get some actual grit and supply it? And is there a real difference between pellets or crumble-or is crumble fine if they tolerate it.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Your confusion is common. Most people just assume that layer feed should be fed to layers, so being told otherwise throws them off. Here are some reasons you may want to avoid layer feed:
  • You have some non-layers in the group- younger birds, cockerels, hens in winter when they stop laying. High calcium levels (the primary difference in layer feed) is good for layers who need it to create eggs, but bad for everyone else.
  • Feeding a higher protein flock feed results in better health (based on my personal experience). My girls were used to 18% feed, but when I was forced to temporarily use same-brand 16% feed due to covid shortages, they had multiple problems. 16% is a minimum level, not necessarily an optimal level.
  • Feeding calcium "on the side" allows them to get whatever amount they want/need. It means that you have no issues with mixed flocks and the winter changeover.
Here are the reasons to use layer feed:
  • It is more convenient if you have a 100% laying flock.
Q: Should I get some actual grit and supply it?
A: If you plan on feeding pretty much anything else other than pellets/crumbles, then they should have grit. Chickens don't have teeth. Their beak can only tear off misc. food (like greens). Grit is collected in their gizzard and grinds up misc. food as part of the digestive process. Pellets/crumbles break down quickly in water, so they don't really need grit.

Q: Is there a real difference between pellets or crumble-or is crumble fine if they tolerate it.
A: There is not necessarily any nutritional difference (assuming it is the same brand/formulation). Obviously crumbles are the better choice for chicks due to size. For older chickens, it is preference. Most prefer and use pellets as there is less dust and potential mess.

Final note: Grit is absolutely, positively not the same a calcium, though some confuse them. Calcium dissolves and doesn't do much to grind down food. Grit is rock (often crushed granite) that doesn't get digested.

Scroll through the emergency threads for a week. Pay attention to how many threads there are about roosters suffering from eating too much calcium. I'll give you a hint. There are none.

Pay attention to how many hens have laying issues. There are a million. Pay attention to what these hens are fed. Most will have the option to eat what they want when they want.

I slightly exaggerated my numbers above on purpose.

Feeding layer type feed to birds a few weeks before they start laying is BETTER for them than waiting until you see an egg.

Feed layer feed.

There are different types of feeds...some come in a crumble form and some in a pelleted form. The main differences in poultry feed are the protein and calcium amounts.
Younger birds need higher protein NOT higher calcium like the layer feeds.

Baby chicks can't eat pellets.

They do sell a LAYER TYPE feed in crumbled form. I use it.

CLICK THIS LINK:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Sj3Bt5CUQfX1PlTEhg799sDT-qM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Wait a minute for it to load. You can see the feed differences side by side.

We feed Nutrena 16% layer crumble, broadcasted oyster shell and 5 grain scratch. They are also 100% free range so I have no idea what else they are eating. We have zero issues with soft or weird shells, Our 40 or so birds eat about 10lbs daily.
Roosters seem to be getting along fine, mean but fine. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. :thumbsup

My birds are doing very well with Purina flock raiser + oyster shell +grit. It is great because if 1 does a molt I do not need to get a high protein feed and if you have boys (now or future) it is fine for them. If a hen stops laying because of illness/injury/age/molt then she won't eat the oyster shell and you don't have to worry about any calcium overload. 10/10 recommend flock raiser

Back
Top Bottom