Confused on what to feed.

Here's where @Kiki and I disagree; here we have roosters, hens laying eggs, hens not in lay, for whatever reason, and often chicks. Everyone gets an all-flock feed, 20% protein, with grit and oyster shell in separate containers.
If we had an all- in, all- out commercial type flock management plan, with layers in confinement eating nothing else, we'd feed a layer feed and nothing else. that's what it's for, not so much for mixed flocks of larger birds who also eat other stuff.
And if most chickens weren't bred from one year old parents, and so not selected for longevity, our pet chickens would have a better chance to have longer lives.
Mary

Thanks everyone for the input, I had already bought a 50 pound bag of layer crumbles. I’ve started mixing that in for now…. Still so many mixed reviews it’s hard to know what’s best for my flock. If this doesn’t impress me by the time the bag is empty I’ll switch over to the all flock with oyster shell and grit.
Ok good luck. Their is no one magic combination when it comes to feeding chickens, everyone's flock is different so what works for one may not work for another. Watch your flock and you will find the best plan for you.

Hey everyone, we have 15/16 week chickens some of which look close to laying. I’ve seen some squats and definitely pinker/redder combs and waddles. We’re finishing up a bag of start and grow which they’ve been on from the beginning.

I was originally thinking of just going to layer crumble but just saw a bunch of posts on flock raiser with oyster shells. I’m at a loss and way overwhelmed on what I should do. Should I just switch to layer feed now or buy more start and grow until they lay. I like the idea of layer feed as I don’t have to worry about supplemental calcium such as oyster shells.

Also, I have never provided any additional grit aside from what they get in the 10x10 run. Should I get some actual grit and supply it? And is there a real difference between pellets or crumble-or is crumble fine if they tolerate it.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
So good rule of thumb for feeding your up and coming layers,( most breeds won't start laying until around 5-6 months of age) after you are done with the starter you can move to type of maintenance feed I use Purina Organic Flock Raiser. This is a complete feed. In month 5 I moved my girls the Purina Organic Laying Crumble, again a complete feed. Since my birds have 10,000 square foot yard they scratch around and get plenty of grit and bugs and grass or weeds. I also have water point in several areas.

Here's where @Kiki and I disagree; here we have roosters, hens laying eggs, hens not in lay, for whatever reason, and often chicks. Everyone gets an all-flock feed, 20% protein, with grit and oyster shell in separate containers.
If we had an all- in, all- out commercial type flock management plan, with layers in confinement eating nothing else, we'd feed a layer feed and nothing else. that's what it's for, not so much for mixed flocks of larger birds who also eat other stuff.
And if most chickens weren't bred from one year old parents, and so not selected for longevity, our pet chickens would have a better chance to have longer lives.
Mary
I am in agreement with @Folly's place. We started out feeding layer formula, and then my rooster died for no apparent reason. I really liked that fella. As I read and learned here, I discovered that non-layers should not get the extra calcium in a layer feed. I don't know for certain that's what killed my Elvis, but I thought, better safe than sorry. Since then we've always fed an all-flock formula with grit and oyster shell on the side. That was about 8 or 9 years ago and we have not had any unexplained deaths since then.

My birds are doing very well with Purina flock raiser + oyster shell +grit. It is great because if 1 does a molt I do not need to get a high protein feed and if you have boys (now or future) it is fine for them. If a hen stops laying because of illness/injury/age/molt then she won't eat the oyster shell and you don't have to worry about any calcium overload. 10/10 recommend flock raiser
Do you use pellets or crumble?

Mary
Just finishing my layer crumble bag, going to attempt to transition to the all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell and grit. Not sure on whether to go to crumble or pellet and what I should put the shell and grit in. I’m thinking just smaller hanging feeders but if anyone has any other suggestions I’m open. Here’s the girls now, I’m thinking the two barred rocks are very close.

Attachments

• 6D5EF25E-10BC-4B2F-BE33-0D1ED19B27FF.jpeg
    6D5EF25E-10BC-4B2F-BE33-0D1ED19B27FF.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 2
  • B664E478-B625-449A-A07C-C436EC578FD4.jpeg
    B664E478-B625-449A-A07C-C436EC578FD4.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 2
  • C620D10F-CE29-4F46-8CB2-DFF49A3BB9A1.jpeg
    C620D10F-CE29-4F46-8CB2-DFF49A3BB9A1.jpeg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 2
Just finishing my layer crumble bag, going to attempt to transition to the all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell and grit. Not sure on whether to go to crumble or pellet and what I should put the shell and grit in. I’m thinking just smaller hanging feeders but if anyone has any other suggestions I’m open. Here’s the girls now, I’m thinking the two barred rocks are very close.
Given their size, you can use pellet or crumble. It is owner preference, though pellet is more commonly used to minimize dust.

Use whatever container you want for the oyster shell and grit, just so long as they are each separate from the feed. The chickens will dig into them as desired.

If you have any of that layer crumble left, it would be a good idea to mix it with the flock raiser for at least a few days to help them transition to the new taste.

Back
Top Bottom