Connecticut!

Thank you!

This will be my first time introducing new chicks to my older chicks. 3 of my girls tend to be bullys (even to me) so I am a little worried. I'm going to do some more reading in here about introductions, but what are your experiences?
Some people say popping them in after bed time works, but that isn't my experience. Supervised free ranging with several places with water and food works best for me. After a week or so of that where no one is too feared out then put them in the run together. Again, I can't stress too much that having more than one food and water is important. They become "Bully Opportunities". You want to make as few of these as possible. It's probably harder on us watching the process than it is for them. I practically cried when they all finally became a flock. (although Agatha still likes to play "grab the hat" at bed time)

I found that putting them in a large dog crate for a day or so inside the coop then putting them in loose with the main flock at night works well. Very little drama. Turning them loose with the others has to be done at night though....If not YIKES!!

I love the free range together idea though and multiple food and water areas... that works great... I don't always have the time to watch them free range together for several days.

I've had success by confining the new kids in the coop so the older ones can see them. A number of days to a week. Then I devised a "creep" type barricade. The young ones can get in and out of a confined area but the older ones can't. The concept is often used for feeding young livestock. http://willowcreekfarm.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/photo-3.jpg Obviously the picture is a lamb pen but the idea is the same.

Hi everyone,

We played the bantam lottery at Tractor Supply 3 weeks ago and it looks like 3 out of the 4 cochins we got are developing into cockerels. We already have a silkie rooster that we (maybe foolishly) rescued last year, so I'm not sure how well it would go over putting them all together.

If anyone is possibly interested in adding a bantam cochin male, let me know. They haven't been exposed to the outdoors or to our flock - they've been in a brooder in the house so far. We have a white, a black, and what looks like either a silver-laced or mottled. Very sweet and cute - I just wish they were females. Or if anyone wanted a beautiful 1-yr-old silkie roo that might fix the issue too as the others are all growing up together.

Don't know if you all have heard that there was a salmonella outbreak in this years chicks from Mt. Pleasant Hatchery. If u plan to get more chicks avoid them for now.

Morning, all
frow.gif

In the early stages of looking for some small breed, decent laying chickens and ducks in western Connecticut.

Right now I am thinking of finding a couple of mature or nearly mature hens to start with, then adding some chicks and ducklings in a little bit.

Any tips on anyone selling breeds like Rhode Island Reds, Easter Eggers? One friend from the midwest mentioned Freedom Rangers or Rainbow Rangers, Chanticleers, another suggested Silkies or Brahmas. The criteria are family friendly (youngest is 7), hardy, reliable egg layer.

I think we would consider a larger breed if they are easy going.

Hope you are able to enjoy this day. I am heading outside soon, I hope.

Back
Top Bottom