Connecticut!

I just wanted to share my story about Clark Farm in Higganum, CT. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128565/clark-farm-higganum-ct

I would not recommend this farm to anyone and wish that we had not gotten our chicks from there.

I had contacted Debbie about picking up 3 chicks from her farm in early July. She said she normally sells them in batches of 6 but since I already have chicks, she agreed. She also said that she would guarantee their sex and that if they were roosters, that she would switch them out. I ordered 1 easter egger (advertised as an araucana) and 2 buffs. When I went to the farm to pick them up, she had a bin in the middle of her driveway. Her husband just scooped up 3 and plopped them in the box I provided. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to pick them out.

She insisted that they be on medicated food and after 24 hours, I could see why. Their poop was bloody. I went to the store, got medicated food and it cleared up. Fast forward to 5 weeks later. A friend who had also ordered from them had two roosters (this was after they got them at 8 weeks old). She switched them out and it got me thinking about my easter egger. After discussions with many people here, there was an overwhelming consensus that Ginger was in fact a George. He already had a red peacomb and red patches on his shoulders. He even acted like a rooster. When I contacted her for the switch, I had to call 3 times. She never returned my calls or emails. I finally got her on the 4th phone call. She made an appointment to switch out my roo for another EE or Buff.

When I got there, her husband was waiting. He saw my easter egger and said, oh thats a girl. I told him no, I am pretty sure its a boy. His wife came down and she had a black australorp baby waiting for me. I looked a little confused and she said, "Oh thats right, you wanted a Buff." "A buff or Easter Egger" I said. Her husband seemed put out by it but went to the back of the farm (out of view of customers) to get another chick. He came back with the saddest two 8 week old chicks. All their back feathers had been pulled out and they were covered in red scabs. I was appalled and said that I would not be taking that chick. The husband said "Well, they are free range, thats what happens". At this point he had grabbed my bird (who is 5.5 weeks) and attempted to vent-sex him, insisting again that he was a she. I pointed out the peacomb being red and the coloration. These breeders said they were in business for 15 years and yet they don't know that you can't vent sex a chicken after its a day or two old. I was pretty disgusted at this point. They then offered me a day old chick, which I declined since it would be a singleton all on its own. They eventually found me a sad looking 4 week old buff, who also have scabs on its back. I took her home and put her in a crate for the 30 day quarantine. I asked my friend if her 8 week chickens had missing feathers. She said that they told her that their feathers hadn't come in yet.

If you can avoid getting chicks from this place, please do so. They should not be in business. They obviously have crowding issues, as well as, too many roosters per hens. I am hoping that my new chick survives and doesn't have any other underlining issues.

I just wanted to share my story about Clark Farm in Higganum, CT. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128565/clark-farm-higganum-ct [COLOR=333333]I would not recommend this farm to anyone and wish that we had not gotten our chicks from there.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I had contacted Debbie about picking up 3 chicks from her farm in early July. She said she normally sells them in batches of 6 but since I already have chicks, she agreed. She also said that she would guarantee their sex and that if they were roosters, that she would switch them out. I ordered 1 easter egger (advertised as an araucana) and 2 buffs. When I went to the farm to pick them up, she had a bin in the middle of her driveway. Her husband just scooped up 3 and plopped them in the box I provided. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to pick them out. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]She insisted that they be on medicated food and after 24 hours, I could see why. Their poop was bloody. I went to the store, got medicated food and it cleared up. Fast forward to 5 weeks later. A friend who had also ordered from them had two roosters (this was after they got them at 8 weeks old). She switched them out and it got me thinking about my easter egger. After discussions with many people here, there was an overwhelming consensus that Ginger was in fact a George. He already had a red peacomb and red patches on his shoulders. He even acted like a rooster. When I contacted her for the switch, I had to call 3 times. She never returned my calls or emails. I finally got her on the 4th phone call. She made an appointment to switch out my roo for another EE or Buff.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]When I got there, her husband was waiting. He saw my easter egger and said, oh thats a girl. I told him no, I am pretty sure its a boy. His wife came down and she had a black australorp baby waiting for me. I looked a little confused and she said, "Oh thats right, you wanted a Buff." "A buff or Easter Egger" I said. Her husband seemed put out by it but went to the back of the farm (out of view of customers) to get another chick. He came back with the saddest two 8 week old chicks. All their back feathers had been pulled out and they were covered in red scabs. I was appalled and said that I would not be taking that chick. The husband said "Well, they are free range, thats what happens". At this point he had grabbed my bird (who is 5.5 weeks) and attempted to vent-sex him, insisting again that he was a she. I pointed out the peacomb being red and the coloration. These breeders said they were in business for 15 years and yet they don't know that you can't vent sex a chicken after its a day or two old. I was pretty disgusted at this point. They then offered me a day old chick, which I declined since it would be a singleton all on its own. They eventually found me a sad looking 4 week old buff, who also have scabs on its back. I took her home and put her in a crate for the 30 day quarantine. I asked my friend if her 8 week chickens had missing feathers. She said that they told her that their feathers hadn't come in yet.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]If you can avoid getting chicks from this place, please do so. They should not be in business. They obviously have crowding issues, as well as, too many roosters per hens. I am hoping that my new chick survives and doesn't have any other underlining issues. [/COLOR]
Somewhat similar experience. Website is enticing because they make it sound as though they have pullets of a ton of different breeds available. They don't, at least not all at the same time. My first go I bought 4 Cochins. 2 were roosters, I didn't care really about the first, but returned the second. They exchanged it for a polish which never really thrived and unfortunately just died one day around 11 weeks of age.

Somewhat similar experience. Website is enticing because they make it sound as though they have pullets of a ton of different breeds available. They don't, at least not all at the same time. My first go I bought 4 Cochins. 2 were roosters, I didn't care really about the first, but returned the second. They exchanged it for a polish which never really thrived and unfortunately just died one day around 11 weeks of age.
**UPDATE** I was contacted 1 day later from the breeder asking about the well being of the 4 week old chick. I informed her of the missing feathers and scabs. She offered to send a refund of what a 6 week bird would cost as a consultation. I hope that in the future, she will keep better care of her birds. I still will not buy chicks from her again.

Hey everyone, I'm from Woodbridge. Started with a home-built incubator and a few Americauna hatching eggs from eBay. Had two hatch from that batch, refined the incubator and my habits a bit and just hatched 2 black langshans from a friend's flock. Unfortunately I just lost one yesterday - Lulu, the white Americauna chick in my avatar, my first-hatched, was taken by a predator only about 2 weeks after beginning to lay her own eggs.

Back
Top Bottom