Ended Contest # 4 Edible Easter. 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch a Long!

Yorkshire Coop

Kindness costs nothing ..
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK 🇬🇧
My Coop
My Coop
Contest # 4

Deadline for entry is April 12th, 2017 at midnight PST

Edible Easter

8th Annual Easter Hatch-a-long!
Contest Rules:

Contest Open to all BYC members in the Continental US
Must use Some Easter Candy and be made with edible materials (except the tray it's on)
Maximum of 2 entries per member
To submit your entries, simply post the picture of your display in this thread
Prizes:

1st Place:
Vintage Candy dish donated by @LadyCluck77

2nd Place:
BYC Kitchen towel donated by @Cynthia12

3rd Place:
6 Month GFM

A panel of judges will determine the winners!

Past winners:
blooie

Iheartpoultry

coopbuilder

Good luck to all entrants and if you have not already please do join us on the Easter Hatch a long - The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

A BIG thank you to @LadyCluck77
& @Cynthia12 for the fabulous prize donations!

Last edited:
All done, whew!

It's a Braided Easter Egg Bread, complete with candy decorations (and real eggs too)...

Alright! Here is my second entry!

Tiltle: "Mama Muscovy meets here baby"
Fondant ducks, and water and land. A pretezel & chocolate nest, with candy eggs. (If you look closely at the unhatched eggs, there are pips...)

Here's a close up of mama meeting her baby.

Hope you like it! (See why I thought you would like it @Miss Lydia ?)

And now.......
th.gif

Okay..
Spring Break at Bunny Beach

This one was so much fun!!

Lemon cake half - the dune behind the beach, and the beach
Other lemon cake half - shaved to make the beach
Crushed almonds - the rocks on the dune
Chia seeds - the black sand of the beach
Fondant - the water
White icing - the whitecaps
Goldfish - the fishies
Chick lollipop - the lifegaurd
Lifesaver - the life preserver on the lifeguard station
Peeps - the sunbather and the new partier coming up from behind the dune
Rosemary sprigs - the palm tree
Candy footprints - the bunny tracks to the beach
Edible Rice grass - the kelp on the beach, the grass going up the dune, and the seaweed on the beach
Jelly beans - the rocks in the water at the beach
Edible Rice bunnies - the decoration on the sunbather's umbrella
Prezels - the 6 pack of beer next to the sunbather

NON Edible items -
Cupcake papers - beach umbrellas
Straws - umbrella handle and sign posts
Paper - sign (notice the margarita on the sign!)
Paper bunny ears - the snorkling bunny and the bunnies coming to the party from behind the dune

I don't think I forgot anything except the cake cooling rack that the entry is sitting on.

Last edited:
You wouldn't like hatching eggs Blooie?
th.gif
Um, I had a little "problem" with hatching eggs last year. I had an incubator but had never hatched before, so I ordered a dozen from My Pet Chicken. At about the same time there was a BYC contest which I didn't win. That was fine - I'd already ordered. It was the "My Pet Chicken hatching egg giveaway" and the prize was a dozen hatching eggs. The winner was "drawn" by random selection of a post. The kind soul who won gifted those eggs to me. Oops, now I had 2 dozen hatching eggs coming from MPC, all scheduled to arrive at the same time. Except I didn't get a dozen of each - they couldn't send me exactly what I wanted in my original order so they sent extras. AND the gifted eggs from @LocalYokel came with extras. Now what? Well, I did the only thing I could do - I ran out and got a second incubator because mine was too small for all those eggs.

Bear in mind that I had NEVER hatched eggs before. No clue. Oh boy. Along came this contest and the prize was 6 Svart Hona eggs. I won with the Easter Bonnet and gloves. I was mid-incubation on the ones I had so I gifted the prize to another member who had a spectacular entry in the contest. Crisis averted, and two people happy! I had a dismal hatch...out of all those eggs all I ended up with was 2 chicks. I entered another contest. I think first prize in that one was a one year GF membership......I didn't win that one but I did take second place, which was - TA DA - half dozen hatching eggs. Oh, brother!!! And that prize provider sent more than 6 as well. I was inundated with eggs for 2 months straight!! Are you keeping track of the number of eggs so far? You're doing better than I did - somewhere along the line I lost total track! In with that prize were a couple of Silkie eggs. I didn't realize how much Katie (our little granddaughter) wanted Silkies until they didn't hatch either, and that was a lot of eggs to get one Olive Egger, one Crested Cream Legbar, one Naked Neck, and one Easter Egger. I was done hatching! Shipping eggs from so far and the altitude change was just too hard on the eggs. At one point I had a nightmare that I'd won the Publishers' Clearing House sweepstakes and the prize was hatching eggs! I woke up in a cold sweat!

Then I got persuaded to try one more time to get Katie some Silkies. I was outnumbered and out-cuted. So I ordered eggs from @RubyNala97 and got more eggs than I ordered. But this time, due to her care before they were shipped and her fantastic packing, we had a wonderful hatch and Katie has her Silkies. The incubators are now cleaned and put away, and they'll stay there for who-knows-how-long before I go through all that again! So yep, I checked before I decided to enter this one!
wink.png

This morning the Easter Bunny left an early present for us- an entirely edible basket!

The base is chocolate cake generously iced in Nutella hazelnut spread, decorated with piped white buttercream, Cadbury Mini Eggs, green candy floss for the grass, and white chocolate flowers. The basket handle is made of hardened white chocolate, decorated with jellybeans. The rabbit is a Lindt chocolate bunny, covered in fondant to make it a Dutch rabbit. It has a pink jellybean nose.

Back
Top Bottom