Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

JenniO11

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Sponsored by Nutrena NatureWise!

Congratulations to Cotton42! Thanks so much for all of your hilarious submissions!

Tell us your FUNNIEST STORY about your chickens and have a chance to PICK SIX - win SIX bags of Nutrena
00ae.png
NatureWise
00ae.png
or Country Feeds (it's your choice!)

We all know that our chickens do more than just share our backyards and give us eggs - they entertain us, too! And they've all done something funny once, twice, okay, DOZENS of times! To enter this contest, reply to this thread with your most hilarious chicken story. Not only will we all have fun contributing to a HUGE thread, but the best story, as chosen by members of the BYC team, will win six bags of NatureWise or Country Feeds!

To Enter:

1) Post your funniest chicken story as a reply to this thread. Must be between 50-250 words.

2) Check out the Nutrena Website to start thinking about what you would choose if you won.

3) Get excited to read all of the hilarious stories and find out who won!

The contest will end the day after Thanksgiving (November 23rd) and the winner will be announced on November 28th, so check back to see if you've won!

Please read all terms and conditions here before entering.

Last edited:
I have several chickens who are escape artists, including my large RIR roster Don. Hes a great rooster, protecting his ladies and finding them food but he will chase strangers and even me sometimes. My Schwan's delivery man knows all too well to look out for him. One day I had a different driver and I mentioned to him to look out for the rooster if he ever came back, he replied with "Oh your the rooster lady, Ive heard all about him" So I guess Im the Rooster Lady. LOL
frow.gif

My funniest experience with my chickens was when my three cousins came to my house for a visit. My whole family knows I am a animal fanatic especially when it comes to chickens so every time they come i give them a tour of all my animals, and keep in mind two of my cousins were almost terrified of any kind of living thing . I started with my tarantula and then continued to show them all my animals, but i left the best for last, my chickens.The last time they had come i had only 6 chickens because i had left for a while so i gave most of them away, but what they dint know is that I now had thirty-two chickens and a lot of them would run towards you, try get on your shoulder and wait to be feed. You should have seen the look on their faces
ep.gif
when half of my thirty-two chickens flew towards them, they ran out of there and the chickens followed and the youngest one that is sixteen tripped and when she did a couple of the chickens went towards her, got on top of her and waited, but of course i went to help her up(she was okay). Now when they come they don't get close to the chicken coop
hide.gif
. But oh well
idunno.gif

Hope you guys enjoyed my story.
lol.png

My funny story involves call ducks, but it starts with a chicken... so hope this qualifies...

I have this one young silkie rooster that is such a stinker, even though I raised him from an egg. He's maturing and would like nothing more than to be the leader of the land. He concocted his master plan and decided that the fastest way to the top is to take ME down.
rant.gif
Doesn't he know I feed them??!

So a couple weeks ago, I am enjoying the nice weekend outside working so I let all the birds out of their pens to free range, and this little guy comes strutting up and starts attacking my legs! Rather than walk away (didn't want him thinking he won the match!) I stood there and let him attack away, waiting for him to get bored and give up. He's no good at trying to be a big scary rooster. While I'm patiently wait for him to get done lunging into my shins, my little call duck I've raised since she fit in the palm of my hand, sees him attacking me.

This call duck, named Duck-Duck has a history of being nosey, which is how she ended up in my avatar picture. I was taking a picture of the silkie and SHE jumped in the picture find out what the excitement was all about. BUT, she isn't overly tame. She watches what I do, but she does not wish to be petted or picked up.

For this reason, I was shocked when Duck-Duck came full speed waddle/running over to my rescue! I've never seen that little duck waddle so fast - you'd have thought her tail was on fire! She gets between that chicken and I, and puts her head down with her beak out and open like the most ferocious goose, and starts threatening to pluck out every feather on his body. Not more than 30 seconds later, Duck-Duck's best friend, another call duck, joins in on this. The silkie dodges their charging for a minute or so, and then he decides he's had enough of this crazy duck thing and slinks away.

Then the ducks just start eating grass at my feet like nothing ever happened!

That young silkie try anything again since. I guess my little bodyguards have put him in his place!
yippiechickie.gif

My funniest story is at the expense of a poor, misguided - and now deceased - frog.

Said frog made the mistake of getting in the run. Hilarity ensued when my girls gave chase while attempting to fight each other over the rights to this frog. One would grab it - the other would take it - and, in short order, - the poor frog was dead as a door nail. But, it didn't end there.

One of my bigger girls ended up with rights to the frog and decided she wasn't going to delicately pick it apart for lunch for fear her sisters would snag some. So . . . she decided to eat the poor frog whole. Head first.

I stood at a distance for fear she choke to death as this was no small frog. Figured I could always hop in [no pun intended] and pull it out of her throat if it became stuck. But - no - she worked hard at gulping this frog down, bit by bit.

The funny part . . . almost at the end of gulping the frog, she turned around and looked at me. The frog legs were sticking out of her beak, one hanging down on each side. Looked exactly like my chicken had an old-fashioned handlebar mustache!!!

Yeah . . well . . . would have been funnier with a picture.

I started raising chickens 4 years ago, they were very friendly, specialy my golden comet Adele.
One morning, in the summer she found her way inside the house and I let her explore for a while...
She found a fruit basket and sat in it with an air of content... Little we knew ... She laid an egg!! right there in my kitchen on the counter top !! after that day she would come every morning and peck at the kitchen french door for us to open the door to her and she would jump in her basket on the counter to lay her egg while we had breakfast !!

Ok I'll try. One day I went out to feed my chickens in the morning like I always do with my black lab dog bandit. And when I opened the coop to let all the birds out, my bantam black Cochin rooster. AKA; king of the flock, and also the smallest bird out of that flock started chasing my LF silkie hen around the yard !!! My rooster all fluffed out like a tom turkey was chasing this hen around in circles for at least 8 minuites. And scince the hen had no where to get away from this crazy black fury of feathers she decided to jump on my my dogs back:rolleyes:And I guess bandit didn't like that so my dog started trying to get this thing off of his back like the hen was a ticking time bomb. And there way no way in chicken heaven that that hen was going to give up the safety of a dogs back in exchange for a crazy Cochin that was circling around my dogs legs waiting for her to come down. After my dog finally gave up trying to get this hen off of his back I resolved the conflict by putting some food out, and the chochin and the silkie went there separate ways for the rest of the day. :D

THE END:lol:

One of my funny chicken story's is about a D'Anver hen we just call banty, I am always the one to feed all of the birds but this day I started getting my boys to help me feed. Our little banty always would fly up to my shoulder when it was feeding time so this day my oldest child Aj had the feeding bucket and started to put out food foe every one while I called them. As every one ran up I seen banty running and I new what was about to happen. She flew right up his back and my son drooped the bucket and started running, and screaming. He did not know what had got him but h was not stopping to see. This whole time he is running around banty is still on his shoulder and freaking out her self. After everything calmed down and he seen it was just her my son told me he will never feed her again. He does feed the birds now but watches for her every time he goes out. He still lets her get up on his shoulder but this time he picks her up and puts her up there.

Thanks
hugs.gif

So after we lost our beloved Rooster Mr Russell Crowe...one of my friends called and asked if I wanted a sweet young rooster that was one of 9. According to her the person who had him had hatched out a bunch of eggs and they all turned out to be roosters. I said yes and drove 2 hours to pick him up. I was so excited when I saw him! He was black with some green feathering and a pretty, very long black and green tail feathers. My friend had decided that she wanted to take him out of the box he had been in for the first part of his journey until I got there to take him home. I had brought along our regular dog crate/chicken crate that had some fresh clean shavings. As my friend went to put this now freaked out, never before handled rooster into the crate, he bolted right out of her arms and went into a dead run to the nearest trees. It is in march in Maine, still snow on the ground and ice in the pond. For the next three hours...yes three hour.s 4 adults chased that poor freaking out little rooster through the woods, under trees on the ice. We would get him cornered, almost had him then he would jump up and over all of us. We were all covered in mud, freezing and getting a little fustrated, Now mind you my friends husband is a pure city boy, had never been around chickens before. He was about 6ft tall and approx 250 pounds, when the rooster got close to him, he wound run the other way. Picture this now, a young roosters who is scared cold and tired running and in front of him was this large tall guy running away screaming " get him away from me". After a couple of hours with this cat and mouse game, I was able to sneak up on the rooster-who by the way had now gained the name Sheldon(after Big Bang theory because he kept out smarting all of us) I snuck up on him in the tall grass, reached down and grabbed a hand full of tail feather, only to have every single tail feather come out of the rooster. I stood there holding a handful of pretty green and black tail feathers and there goes Sheldon running the other way once again, only this time with a very bald bottom! We were able to catch him a few moments later due to him being just too tired to run any longer. It was dark and cold and by this time I am really the only one willing to keep chasing him. He is now one of the sweetest roosters I have ever had and all the ladies just love him. He has never grown back his tail feathers and once in a while, you can see him jump, as though he has been goosed, I could not figure out why until one day, I saw one of the ladies peck his bare bottom where instead of feathers, there is just his bare bottom. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.
lau.gif

This is Honey Bear. The sweetest Buff Orpington in the whole wide world. She follows me around the garden like a puppy.

One afternoon, I heard the doorbell ring, I knew I couldn't get through the house in time to answer it. So I dashed out through the garage. And I can hear her toe nails on the garage floor right behind me, click, click, click. And I worry about dogs being off leash out front so I turn around, scoop her up and carry her out front with me. At the front door is a solar panel salesman who's eyes get really big and he says, "WOAH! WOW! What is that? Is that a goose?" Honey Bear who is typically quiet, piped up with a bawk bawk bok bok bok. Because a goose she is most certainly not!

But I have to admit, she went broody and we let her raise a batch of chicks and one of her many nick names is Mother Goose.

Back
Top Bottom