• Rose-crowned

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Golden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Pics
I got this cage for free… is it okay for two parakeets or should I start looking for a larger flight cage?

I wish it were wider. I'm reading should be at least 30" long, but I'm really bad at gauging size... and too lazy to get a tape measure 😝😝

(This was how I received the cage, the interior and toys are much better now.)

View attachment 3283864
I think it's ok for them but bigger is always better with birds! Also do you have more perches in it now? Not dowel perches?

I got this cage for free… is it okay for two parakeets or should I start looking for a larger flight cage?

I wish it were wider. I'm reading should be at least 30" long, but I'm really bad at gauging size... and too lazy to get a tape measure 😝😝

(This was how I received the cage, the interior and toys are much better now.)

View attachment 3283864
Flight cages are much better but it's big enough for them. Do you let them out to stretch their wings?

Went to the PetSmart yesterday to buy some more food for my budgies. On my way to the bird aisle I saw four elementary grade kids banging on the glass and yelling at the poor birds. The kids were shouting at a conure (who was flapping frantically around in the cage) once I finally walked over there. Before I could tell them to stop they ran down another aisle towards the cats. The poor conure was breathing heavily with its wings spread out and eyes dilated. Not sure where these kids parents where or why no one else in the store was telling them to stop.

Since budgies fly horizontally, not vertically, this cage isn't worth the hassle when your birds won't even get that much flying space. Good thing you got it free
Yes. I know. This is the cage there previous family had them in. They've been in it for three years, but I'm wondering if I should start looking for a better flight cage or if they are okay in the one. I've had them for less than a week

Do you let them out to stretch their wings?
Plan on it. They were not handled at all previously, and are three years old. I've had them for less than a week, but have been putting my hand in their cage several times per day and singing and talking to them. Also been doing my work in the room with them.

They no longer go crazy when I open the door or feed them.

Kenzie Opal Moonshine (sky blue opaline one) has stood on my hand several times. Only for a split second before he chickens out, but he has. Also they were terrified of the millet stem before, but I finally got them to eat it off the stem from my hand this morning :)

I plan to let them out, but first I would like them to step up, and possibly learn some target training first.

Cool I didn’t know there was a conure thread. Thanks for the tag @Pampered chicken girl

Here’s my Ruby
180DB599-58DF-422C-99BE-3B011E6AE993.jpeg

Yes. I know. This is the cage there previous family had them in. They've been in it for three years, but I'm wondering if I should start looking for a better flight cage or if they are okay in the one. I've had them for less than a week
Honestly, a 30x18x18 flight cage would be better than that. You could do 30x18x36 if you wanted. That size is less expensive than some of the other cages, as the gauge on the wire is smaller because it doesn't need to hold up to strong beaks.
1665166759192.png
1665166802744.png

The dowel perches are alright if other perches are available. Somewhere I wrote an article on healthy birds and feet and the importance of varied perches, but I can't find it anywhere.

Honestly, a 30x18x18 flight cage would be better than that. You could do 30x18x36 if you wanted. That size is less expensive than some of the other cages, as the gauge on the wire is smaller because it doesn't need to hold up to strong beaks.
View attachment 3283890View attachment 3283892

The dowel perches are alright if other perches are available. Somewhere I wrote an article on healthy birds and feet and the importance of varied perches, but I can't find it anywhere.
i was looking at some like that, but didn’t know where to buy them and didn’t have a very good gauge of size comparison

Back
Top Bottom