Coop building plans, seeking critique and advice

i was going to save up for a better one, but I lost my job and now I’m Too broke :oops: good thing they don’t seem to mind, because I don’t think I’ll be picking up another job until I’ve graduated months from now
Sorry to hear that. But congrats on being so close to graduation. I think your chicken coop is just fine, and you can always add ventilation if needed. :highfive: Honestly, for us, building it is cheaper than buying a shed and converting it. It's all about time for us. DH retires end of February, so I don't expect to have this one done before then, although with the plans he will start prefabing parts of it in his shop.

I'm the one excited about it, because cleaning will be easier. The chickens really don't care. :hmm

No need for any other openings up high.
Need overhang on lower end of upper roof too.
Agrees... lots of operable windows, top hinged..including under upper eave.
Have both roosts at same level.
Gutter on lower roof to keep run from flooding, with run roof just below.

Why two pop doors?
Where is personnel door?
Maybe you're not quite there yet.
I assume you can adjust things...program is sketch up?
You GO Girl!!

No need for any other openings up high.
Need overhang on lower end of upper roof too.
Agrees... lots of operable windows, top hinged..including under upper eave.
Have both roosts at same level.
Gutter on lower roof to keep run from flooding, with run roof just below.

Why two pop doors?
Where is personnel door?
Maybe you're not quite there yet.
I assume you can adjust things...program is sketch up?
You GO Girl!!
Yes, the program is Sketch Up! Could not remember that.

Why both roosts at same level? I thought some would want to be higher than others.

Two poo doors are for creating a segregation area when I need to.

Right next to the right hand pop door is the personnel door, although on that side it will be only 5' tall, so I'll be ducking to get through. Then there is another door on the side of the coop where I can enter without going into the run. Hardware hasn't been drawn in so that's not obvious.

My design dilemma right now is the roof pitch to the run, and that short entrance. I'm considering turning the whole thing 45 degrees and have the run come off the 8' side, but then I'm not sure I can get enough run space. I'll have to measure the space I have out there, since I'm still working within the already fenced area. I don't want a run that is 5' tall! Who knew it would be this hard to figure out.

Advice on windows and overhang taken. Thanks.

ETA: Oops. I forgot he decided to put the pop door in the people door, kind of like a cat or dog door would be. So the door is on the right side of the front. This all changes if I turn the whole building.

It looks like your nesting boxes are on the floor. if so you will need to bend over to collect eggs. My coop has the nesting boxes about 4' from the ground. I also have external access to the nesting boxes via a latched door so I can collect eggs without entering the run. Something to think about.

It looks like your nesting boxes are on the floor. if so you will need to bend over to collect eggs. My coop has the nesting boxes about 4' from the ground. I also have external access to the nesting boxes via a latched door so I can collect eggs without entering the run. Something to think about.
That is very doable if I turn the coop 45 degrees. I know that is a lot of redesign, but it makes sense to do it. I'll go out and take some measurements.

Why both roosts at same level? I thought some would want to be higher than others.
Keeping roosts at same level removes the 'battle for the highest roost' aspect, some might want to be higher, but they don't need to be...and it's easier for you to clean.

Right next to the right hand pop door is the personnel door, although on that side it will be only 5' tall, so I'll be ducking to get through.
Why only 5' tall?
There are no dimensions on your drawings, so make it hard to tell some things.

Keeping roosts at same level removes the 'battle for the highest roost' aspect, some might want to be higher, but they don't need to be...and it's easier for you to clean.

Why only 5' tall?
There are no dimensions on your drawings, so make it hard to tell some things.
At the peak it is 8', back side is 7' and the front is 5'. I think. DH doing the design. It now occurs to me that he could have a more shallow pitch on the front side making it 6' high and that solves everything. The floor space is 8x10.

Okay...raising nesting boxes and lowering the high roost bar.

Back
Top Bottom