Coop design and build

Just wanted to say hi. Your coop and run is similar to what I had when I lived in SoCal.

Only tip I have is that you are going to need way, way more ventilation for the summers. Like a framed hardware cloth window the size of your clean out door. You can always make a cover for it for during the occasional storm.

Where I lived was hotter and colder than San Diego, but my coop was fairly close to just having 3 enclosed sides and 6 inches of hardware cloth vent along the high side under the roof. Even in the winter they were never closed,

Good luck! Your build looks great!

Thank you for checking it out. We are keeping an eye on the ventilation, monitoring coop temps, stuff like that. I've got a plan where I could very easily cut out the interior part of the coop and replace with hardware cloth. But I'd like to make that decision based on actual need as opposed to a possibility. Night time temps rarely go below 50. Last nights low was 61. But night time highs are pretty temperate, too!

In the region where you live, open ventilated coops would be highly reccomended...nice moderate climate, stable temperatures with few to no extremes.

Under those friendly climactic conditions, the coop is less shelter and more protection from predators.

Good idea. Always good to have a plan B just in case. :)

You guys do have a great climate down there, and I sure miss all the citrus and avocados from SoCal. Your chickens should be very happy in their new home!

An update on the waterer. Swapped out PVC for irrigation tubing, resealed the bucket with silicon, and things are much better.

The middle nipple was still leaking a little and so I tried a little tephlon tape on the threads, which cut it down a lot, then added a bit on the outside which slowed the leak to one drip every 20 seconds. Not thrilled about that but need to get it working so I can stop hearing them tip over the water cup every 5 minutes.

Here's the bucket

And of course the dog is still watching them every moment. Pretty sure he'd like to eat them

Back
Top Bottom