Coop location

Any setback restrictions for Seattle? I'm familiar with the county's restrictions which allow for close proximity, but not sure if the city has different ordinances.

Wouldn't bother me to have the chickens in that close but I have double paned windows throughout. If those are bedrooms right there and you have single paned windows, you might not be so happy once the hens start laying lol.

I would not add gravel to the run area itself but depending on drainage at the site, some trenching around the perimeter may help. Looks like it slopes slightly towards the driveway/road which should help with drainage.
We are actually outside of Seattle on one of the little "islands" (actually a peninsula). We are outside the city limits and no where near any towns. I was thinking about sound of that "egg song", but honestly, we get up pretty early as it is (and should! ;) ). Would keep us from laying around!

Any setback restrictions for Seattle? I'm familiar with the county's restrictions which allow for close proximity, but not sure if the city has different ordinances.

Wouldn't bother me to have the chickens in that close but I have double paned windows throughout. If those are bedrooms right there and you have single paned windows, you might not be so happy once the hens start laying lol.

I would not add gravel to the run area itself but depending on drainage at the site, some trenching around the perimeter may help. Looks like it slopes slightly towards the driveway/road which should help with drainage.
Thank you- I was thinking about some trenching to encourage it towards the greenbelt on the lower end. But you don't think it needs gravel, sand, mulch? It's so wet here in the winter, I am really concerned about how to keep them as dry as possible.

We just lost our 17 year old kitty, so not sure I am ready for that. Many in my area have suggested a "barn kitty", but we don't have a barn-how do they stay safe from predators and the elements?
Awww I'm sorry. I get it. I am currently waiting on one of my barn cat to come home after being gone all week (a long time for him). I don't even really like cats, but he's got my heart.

We don't have a barn either, but we have a small screened in porch that we added a cat door to for our 2 cats. We have pet-safe heat pads we put in their house/bed during cold days/nights. On super cold nights (below zero), they get to sleep in the garage. If they are more feral than tame pets, you can get away with just a cat house/shelter, but any structure like a shed or garage will do. All barn cats need to be fed - they can't survive on hunting alone, and they will still hunt for fun, no matter how well you feed them. Practical info on barn cat care can be found here: https://barncatlady.com

Thank you- I was thinking about some trenching to encourage it towards the greenbelt on the lower end. But you don't think it needs gravel, sand, mulch? It's so wet here in the winter, I am really concerned about how to keep them as dry as possible.
You will need some form of litter in the run. Gravel is one of the least suitable choices however - although it allows for drainage, it's harder on a chicken's feet and also allows for poop to travel down and start decaying and stinking. Gravel in a trench for drainage is a bit different.

If you have space for a pile of wood chips, that's the best and most economical choice for litter base in PNW coastal areas. Read up on deep litter, that's what I use and what I see most folks in my area using.

Example: after a heavy night of rain, the lawn had noticeable squishy spots and some puddles, but the deep litter in the unroofed run was surface dry enough that I didn't worry about chicks getting chilled or damp.

litter.jpg

You will need some form of litter in the run. Gravel is one of the least suitable choices however - although it allows for drainage, it's harder on a chicken's feet and also allows for poop to travel down and start decaying and stinking. Gravel in a trench for drainage is a bit different.

If you have space for a pile of wood chips, that's the best and most economical choice for litter base in PNW coastal areas. Read up on deep litter, that's what I use and what I see most folks in my area using.

Example: after a heavy night of rain, the lawn had noticeable squishy spots and some puddles, but the deep litter in the unroofed run was surface dry enough that I didn't worry about chicks getting chilled or damp.

View attachment 3382074
Very helpful- thank you!

Awww I'm sorry. I get it. I am currently waiting on one of my barn cat to come home after being gone all week (a long time for him). I don't even really like cats, but he's got my heart.

We don't have a barn either, but we have a small screened in porch that we added a cat door to for our 2 cats. We have pet-safe heat pads we put in their house/bed during cold days/nights. On super cold nights (below zero), they get to sleep in the garage. If they are more feral than tame pets, you can get away with just a cat house/shelter, but any structure like a shed or garage will do. All barn cats need to be fed - they can't survive on hunting alone, and they will still hunt for fun, no matter how well you feed them. Practical info on barn cat care can be found here: https://barncatlady.com

Back
Top Bottom