Coop location

Chemguy

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Springfield, Ohio
Good morning! We are building our first coop and have gathered the materials needed to frame the coop and enclosed run. Our next step is to decide on where to site the coop. It's here that we are having trouble deciding. Both locations are appropriate for a coop. One of us would like to have the coop within 30 feet of the house to make it a bit more convenient to get out there each day, especially in the winter. Also, trouble with predators (lots of them!) would make it more likely to hear problems during the night. The other of us thinks that the coop and run should be placed about 200 yards from the house, so that any smell won't be a problem and so that all the girls will be farther away from neighbors. We would like to let the girls out of the run most days.

We aren't 'having a discussion' about this, we just don't seem to know enough to be able to decide if one spot is better than the other. Does anyone have any ideas and/or experience?

Interesting decision. I agree about keeping it close due to predators but if you have a good secure run with skirting and a top (wire for coons if birds aren't locked down at night, or net for hawks if they are) then you removed that out of the decision process. As to smell, if the coop is well ventilated, regularly cleaned and dry there is little or no smell. However having the coop close to the house makes cleaning easier in the winter

I suggest using the area that gives the birds the best shade and bug population in the summer and ease of access and protection from direct wind blast in the winter to protect against drafts but allows ventilation. Remember chickes like to go outside in the winter too to scratch and to sun themselves.

Depending on your situation and design plans, maybe a coop with or without a run that is on on skids would be best, you could pull it with a 4wheeler or other vehicle and only move it twice a year. A moveable run (built in panels) is nice and easy to move occationally too, if you garden and want to rotate locations annually, allowing the birds to scratch it up and fertilize it or sinply want to change spots for the winter vs summer

Is there anyway you can split the difference... Because 200 yards is 600 feet, and when it is Dec/Jan with the wind blowing and the temps down around zero, the body making the trip to the coop is going to be wishing it was a closer.... a lot closer. Mine is 150 feet from the house. It is still a ways to go when it is cold and the wind is blowing. Just site your coop so it is down wind.
lol.png

When I've seen threads like this in the past, the opinions seem to lean towards closer to the house, which would be my choice. Odors aren't that difficult to manage, really, and if the site is downwind you won't even notice them the morning of cleaning day. Since you want to let them out of the run most days, it will definitely be easier to manage if closer. And if it freezes where you are, you will be glad in midwinter that it is close.

Trust me. Closer is better for winter. When chickens are properly cared for you won't notice a smell. Occasionally after a heavy rain or something you may smell some poo, but it usually doesn't last long and isn't an issue.

I think the primary considerations for siting your coop should be the safety and health of the chickens. Both are better monitored and under your direct control when the coop is closer to your house. And remember that summer heat is more deadly to chickens than winter cold - so it is best to put the coop in a well shaded area. If shade trees are not an option, then either in the shade of your house on the east or north side.

How many chickens do you plan on having? I have fourteen and my coop is pretty close. No smell just keep it clean and in the cold parts of the winter how much extention cord do you feel like lugging across the yard.

We were facing a similar decision, though our two possible sites weren't quite so far apart. We opted for the one closest to the house, primarily because it is also the least visible from outside the yard and since our 6 chickens are technically illegal, that was important. But we're really glad now that we chose it for other reasons. It has the best mix of sun and shade. Also, we can see part of it from our kitchen window and we love to look out there and see our avian friends. And, it's more convenient to take a cup of coffee or cold drink out to sit next to the coop and engage in our favorite activity, chicken watching!

I have 4 coops there right by my barnominum. Here's a picture of three of them probably 30 ft from the barnom
63768_bob_whites_house_003.jpg
inum. I like having them close they all have electricity & lights .

If you are plan to have rooster, it best to be about 100-200 feet away from the house and the neighbor

Back
Top Bottom