Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

They are lovely! Mine is 16 weeks. My oldest pullet is 19 weeks too so I also am waiting for the eggs!!

My one Welsummer also makes the most peculiar noises. Instead of the usual cluck cluck hen sounds, she honks. Really sounds like a goose. I can always tell when she's coming lol.

They are lovely! Mine is 16 weeks. My oldest pullet is 19 weeks too so I also am waiting for the eggs!!

My one Welsummer also makes the most peculiar noises. Instead of the usual cluck cluck hen sounds, she honks. Really sounds like a goose. I can always tell when she's coming lol.
That honking cracks me UP.....I love it!
Many of my chicks have made that sound between the peeping and clucking stages.

Weekend Shenanigans...

On Friday evening, we went to the Pawnee Grasslands, out by Briggsdale, to watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. There were 8 in our group.

There was a boyscout troop, and my wife got to hold a Sugar Glider.

Sunset was very vibrant. Dinner was awesome, with lots of vegetables from various gardens.

After dinner it was time to enjoy the evening, tell stories and reconnect with everyone.

Once it was dark and the stars came out, there were the occasional flash as a meteor streaked across the sky in a bright intense burst of light. The showers really got consistent after 2:00 in the morning, and by 4:00 am we were seeing 30 to 60 an hour.

The night before, was cloudy...so the 190 to 200 meteors an hour will have to wait for another time, for us to experience.

Last edited:
Weekend Shenanigans II

The weather rolled in late Friday afternoon, heavy rain and wind. We headed up to Estes Park for our anniversary.

Did not know there was a Blue Grass Festival in Lyons...I was surprised at the huge numbers of people, tents, and crazy traffic as we worked our way through town.

As we drove towards Estes, we gained altitude and got closer to the cloud ceiling.

We entered the clouds just before the Hermit Park turn-off. What an amazing drive, I didn't mind the weather at all. I actually enjoy the monsoons that roll into our state.

We stayed at my wife's parent's cabin/condo up at Mary's Lake Lodge. It's a great little retreat to get away for a short period...or a long weekend excursion.

Early the next morning I was getting a drink in the kitchen, when I noticed the window fog up. It startled me when I looked out the window pane and a little fawn was looking in at me. By the time I got my phone, and was able to take a photo, the little fawn was back with its mom.

Not sure WHO was more surprised...me or the fawn.

At lunchtime, we returned from town with pizza and plans to enjoy our meal on the deck. It's a beautiful view...all the way down the valley into Estes Park and beyond.

My wife ran out of the cabin, onto the deck to tell me that there were wild turkeys behind the cabin.

Last edited:

They were 4 little jakes and I could NOT resist trying to feed them...I found that they love bits of apple and pizza. It was so fun.

Turkeys are my favorite poultry, and wild turkeys really have a special place in my heart.

The turkeys hung around for quite awhile, exploring the stairs and the deck.

After a bit they set off down the ridge....

....to roost on a low stump in the shade.

Last edited:

Then she started chasing the turkeys.

Then the turkeys started chasing her...

It was amazing to watch...I have spent a lot of time in the out of doors...stalking and hunting and photographing wildlife.....

....I have never seen animals at play like this before. It was fun, they all chased each other for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom