coop question...What are these plants?

gottsegnet

Songster
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
Nebraska
This is actually our soon to be dog kennel, but the soon to be ours chicken run is in the same shape.

what are these weeds standing almost six feet? And do we need to clear them or can we just turn the chickens loose in it?

pen.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not exaclty sure what they are called but I would just let the chickens in there like that. They will go to town on those plants and love it.

Cool! The coop needs a ton of work, but knocking weeding off the list will help a little.

I'll share some pictures when we get it, but it is perfect for us...very big! Two old goat stalls where we're going to keep the chickens, a sort of box w/ concrete sides I want to use to raise chicks and a lot of room for storage.

There is also an area full of tires I may use to start some geese. I just need to fence a little on the other side & there's already a door there!

hard to tell from this pic.

Make sure it's not castor bean. Not sure if that's dangerous to chickens (My guess is yes) but it sure is to people!!!!

I have had those in the garden (when I first started it), don't know what it's called, but it will get over 6 feet tall. It's crazy, and by then, you cannot pull it out. It will overrun anything.

My suggestion is to tear some off and throw it to your chickens and see if they even like it. If they don't, you may have to take care of it yourself. It does become quite large and very difficult to remove if left alone.

I think I see ragweed (the hand-size, deeply serrated leaves) and maybe dock. Both are undesirable because they reseed everywhere. I would knock this stuff back to 2 feet tall with a weedwhacker and then let the chickens have at it for the bugs and to scratch the weeds into oblivion. Mine will destroy everything except poison ivy! I dont know how they know it's nasty stuff, but they do. I had to get into the coop and pul it out by hand (in glove, of course).

Back
Top Bottom