Cooper's Hawks and 1 acre

marilyngurl22

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
Today a Cooper's hawk tried to get one of my BOs. They have full range in our fenced in acre. What can I do? My dad saw it happen and he said that it will come back. My dogs (1 very large dog, 1 medium, 1 small) hang out in the yard with them but they weren't out there at that time. I thought the dog's presence would be enough to keep Hawks at bay. But I was wrong. Any type of protection I can give them in a yard this size?

Dads right. It will be back. Do you have a covered run ? I dont think there is a way to protect them on one acre. BO is a pretty heavy bird though full grown. Not saying the hawk wont do its best to get them but I am wondering how it could carry one away. Its a chance you take free ranging them.

There are patches of trees, their coop, a tree by the coop, and the plants in my garden. But the majority of the acre is open lawn. It happened in the wide open area. Not sure how to help them. We don't have a covered run. There's a fenced in area around their coop but we haven't had luck keeping them in it (my husband has wanted to avoid total overhead netting because it won't look good. But we may have to revisit.), and I really wanted to free range them. I know you can't shot a hawk but does shooting in the direction of it help?

Cooper's easily hunt through wooded areas, so open area with scattered cover won't help. I had one desperate juvenile take out my head 9 lb rooster many years ago, for a start. They have over the years been my main aerial threat. I no longer free range, between hawks, fox and coyote.

Just remembered another post about a predator. They couldnt kill it but they reported to someone as a nuisance (city/county) and it was dealt with that way.

Cooper's easily hunt through wooded areas, so open area with scattered cover won't help. I had one desperate juvenile take out my head 9 lb rooster many years ago, for a start. They have over the years been my main aerial threat. I no longer free range, between hawks, fox and coyo
9 lbs. !! wow It lifted it or killed it on the spot ?

9 lbs. !!  wow  It lifted it or killed it on the spot ?

Well placed talons through the skull. Did not attempt to fly off with the kill. Same hawk flew in through an 18x18" ground level pop door into the coop to kill a hen two weeks later.

brave little devil hu ? I have been lucky with mine but i only let them range once a week and i pick different days to do it. Still a chance but not as big.

Back
Top Bottom