Corn

I have an old magazine and I love the ads! 
Your post really makes ya stop and think about how way back when they didn't have the resources that we have to make chicken keeping really easy.  But that certainly didn't mean people were less intelligent.  In some ways , I would think it took more intelligence to live way back when. 

Now when you really think about it (off topic), throw 1,000 men in the desert today and see how long it takes them to build a pyramid!

Desert is not as important as suitable geology and sound agriculture making so some can get away from concern of providing food.

Your post really makes ya stop and think about how way back when they didn't have the resources that we have to make chicken keeping really easy. But that certainly didn't mean people were less intelligent. In some ways , I would think it took more intelligence to live way back when.

Now when you really think about it (off topic), throw 1,000 men in the desert today and see how long it takes them to build a pyramid!
LOL, yes a bit off topic.

But why a desert?
Little by little science seem to prove that the Nile was much closer to the pyramids and the area was less of a desert than they once though.

But shoot the Egyptologists and Scientists are still arguing about if the stones used to build the pyramids were pulled across the land by sleds, floated down the Nile, or made on site using geopolymer cast stone construction.

Your post really makes ya stop and think about how way back when they didn't have the resources that we have to make chicken keeping really easy. But that certainly didn't mean people were less intelligent. In some ways , I would think it took more intelligence to live way back when.

roll.png
What I want to know Ms. Wind, is how many of your 1,000 man Pyramid building detail would still be standing AFTER they decided who was going to play the part of the Pharos.
wink.png

Quote:
LOL. I was just pondering how much more thought a farmer's wife had to do to get things done prior to electric and running water. Seems like back then one had to be more intelligent. And building the pyramids shows even more intelligence required when you don't have technology to fall back on.

Sometimes, when I know what I mean, I forget it's got to be written so others know what I mean! LOL

Last edited:
After protein requirements met, the additional corn used as energy source I prefer to feed as whole. The cracked does not compare well with respect to vitamins and possibly fatty acids. Even half grown birds can consume the corn whole. Rule of thumb I follow is birds must consume the same amount of nutritionally balanced feed they would under more ideal conditions where temperatures are in the 60's F before the energy food is applied. When cold stressed they will increase feed intake so I make so most of that increase is represented by corn and soaked oats.

So you use whole corn and oats as a supplement in cold weather after their regular feed. Are both of those from the feed store? And when you say soaked oats what exactly does that mean? Also i bought a small bit of game bird feed to add to the layer mash......just a bit mixed in...not sure if it is 1/4 of the feed........does that sound ok?
Thank you

Last edited:
So you use whole corn and oats as a supplement in cold weather after their regular feed. Are both of those from the feed store? And when you say soaked oats what exactly does that mean? Also i bought a small bit of game bird feed to add to the layer mash......just a bit mixed in...not sure if it is 1/4 of the feed........does that sound ok?
Thank you

Currently I use grains acquired from feed mill but used to be that we raised. Soaked oats for me means oats have been immersed in water for at least 24 hours at roughly cellar temperature. It can go longer to point of fermentation but my preference is not to let it go that long. I make so multiple 5-gallon buckets tied up so a given batch is no more than 72 hours old.

What I do to simply things is to use the same base formulation of known quality ingredients all winter long. It is applied at a rate that keeps bird in constant weight when fall temperatures are mild. As temperature drops and feed consumption increases I also begin to increase the application of the whole grains such that virtually all is consumed by dark. This means I pass each pen 3X daily . First time in early AM to apply base formulation, second to check for feeding interest with application of the whole grains and a third about dark which can be very shortly after second pass to assess consumption of the whole grains. I want birds on roost with obviously distended crops but little or no uneaten feed on the ground at the end of the day. I have to problems with uneaten feed on the ground at night; first is it provides food pests such as rodents, and secondly because it can be an additional attractant for predators such as oppossums and raccoons.

If you are using the gamebird feeds I am familiar with, then their application sets up for increasing protein intake at the same time you are increasing the overall energy intake. My birds have it too rough to get by on layer formulations when using additional whole grains as energy source. Regardless, you will have find out how your birds respond based on trial and error. If they are are in lay then you have a pretty sensitive indicator to follow. For me I have to watch the birds closely and even make adjustments based on weather. It is not as easy as simply providing a formulated diet in excess so you will need to weigh benefits and costs of each approach. I am management intensive which makes my thinking particular to that.

Currently I use grains acquired from feed mill but used to be that we raised. Soaked oats for me means oats have been immersed in water for at least 24 hours at roughly cellar temperature. It can go longer to point of fermentation but my preference is not to let it go that long. I make so multiple 5-gallon buckets tied up so a given batch is no more than 72 hours old.

What I do to simply things is to use the same base formulation of known quality ingredients all winter long. It is applied at a rate that keeps bird in constant weight when fall temperatures are mild. As temperature drops and feed consumption increases I also begin to increase the application of the whole grains such that virtually all is consumed by dark. This means I pass each pen 3X daily . First time in early AM to apply base formulation, second to check for feeding interest with application of the whole grains and a third about dark which can be very shortly after second pass to assess consumption of the whole grains. I want birds on roost with obviously distended crops but little or no uneaten feed on the ground at the end of the day. I have to problems with uneaten feed on the ground at night; first is it provides food pests such as rodents, and secondly because it can be an additional attractant for predators such as oppossums and raccoons.

If you are using the gamebird feeds I am familiar with, then their application sets up for increasing protein intake at the same time you are increasing the overall energy intake. My birds have it too rough to get by on layer formulations when using additional whole grains as energy source. Regardless, you will have find out how your birds respond based on trial and error. If they are are in lay then you have a pretty sensitive indicator to follow. For me I have to watch the birds closely and even make adjustments based on weather. It is not as easy as simply providing a formulated diet in excess so you will need to weigh benefits and costs of each approach. I am management intensive which makes my thinking particular to that.

Thank you.....15° out there now at 6a.m. brrrr.....I know some have it colder, but I still say brrr

Last edited:
My ideas of feeding for the night cold is to give them anything that will send them to bed with a full crop. Any food can be digested and put out heat , and a full crop gives them quite a while to work on it. I'm not sure if fiber is good because it requires more digestive time. But it could be.

Back
Top Bottom