Cornish X vs Freedom Ranger feed conversion

Mt. Baker Quail

Songster
12 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Ferndale, Washington
Has anyone kept track of how much feed it takes to raise a Cornish X to 8 weeks vs. what it takes to feed a Freedom Ranger to 12 weeks feeding both organic feed? What are your thoughts on Cornish X vs. Freedom Rangers?

I haven't kept track of what it cost to feed our cornish x, and I haven't done freedom rangers yet, so I'm not sure how much I can actually help. I just wanted to point out that I think the entire purpose of the freedom ranger is a commercial pastured chicken, or at least a meat bird that does well foraging and is allowed to do so. In other words, it seems to me they were bred and intended for operations that feed birds primarily on pasture--probably tractors--where feed is a secondary source of food. I'm not sure how efficient they actually are on a primarily feed/grain based diet.

By contrast, the cornish x (or rather the breeds that go into it) are selectively bred for super efficient feed conversion ratio and faster growth, with the intention of being raised on feed lots. These birds generally aren't pastured to my knowledge, and depending on who you ask, might not do well on pasture or foraging at all. Ours do, but almost grudgingly, and their growth has certainly been slowed.

I think this question is a lot more complicated because the birds are bred for somewhat different purposes and for different target markets. I would assume their feed conversion ratios are quite different, as well as how well each respective bird type does on pasture.

Well... you don't need to feed a Freedom Ranger to 12 weeks -- I know this because due to various things happening (or not happening, like the plucker not being finished!) I just did. They were enormous and had way too much fat. They're supposed to be ready from 9-11 weeks, and that's been my experience.

-Wendy

I have not raised Freedom Rangers. Maybe someone else can help with that, but I can tell you with near 100% certainty that your CX will eat 20 pounds of feed per bird in 8 weeks. I've raised hundreds now and it works out within a pound of that every time.

Well I have both right now. The Cornish rock are a week older and huge. I raise Rangers because they are sustainable, this is generation three right now. Rangers also lay good eggs. I will compare weight at 8 weeks but plan to keep Rangers to week 16-20. Rangers can also have food 24/7 and have no issues

Well I have both right now. The Cornish rock are a week older and huge. I raise Rangers because they are sustainable, this is generation three right now. Rangers also lay good eggs. I will compare weight at 8 weeks but plan to keep Rangers to week 16-20. Rangers can also have food 24/7 and have no issues

After both are finished do they have the same type carcass?

that is good to know. Looking at nutrena site, they say meat birds, cornish x will eat 8-9# /bird /6 weeks. Makes feeding organic too expensive.

6baldridgejo17

Early in week 7 and the jumbo cornish rocks weigh 5.5 lbs, right on track. The Ranger as you can see are small but finish big down the road after their buddies are gone to camp Kenmore. I have to slow down the feed rate because I was using a Cornish growth weight and the rangers can't eat like that. Food sat around this morning so I am backing off. I also fed lots of greens from weeding a garden and everyone was happy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom