Cotornix Quail second hatch failing miserably

Ok. Its day 20 today and still nothing. It was quite hot in the spare room so I very quickly opened the lid and nothing has even pipped. The 2 eggs I picked up definitely have a heaviness to them and a full chick inside. I think I'm going to try this dry hatch method next. Gawd I'm so upset.

Ok. Its day 20 today and still nothing. It was quite hot in the spare room so I very quickly opened the lid and nothing has even pipped. The 2 eggs I picked up definitely have a heaviness to them and a full chick inside. I think I'm going to try this dry hatch method next. Gawd I'm so upset.
I’m so sorry I hope your next hatch works out.

IMG20230905023416.jpg
IMG20230905022317.jpg

I've got one pipped but he seems to be having alot of trouble and there is heaps of blood coming through the egg. I gently peeled back the membrane with some tweezers as it was drying out in the incubator. I don't know if I've helped or killed the chick.

It died. I slowly helped it out over a couple hours. As soon as it pushed free of the egg it took around 2 mins and gone. Ok time to go to post office and run my errands, then home again to do these egg topsys. He didn't seem shrink wrapped, but the membrane did seem very very thick and the chick was definitely in the wrong position to hatch. The last two that hatched past time unzipped from the large side of the egg and there was no blood no smell no nothing. I did notice a nasty 🤢 smell when I removed this little guy from the incubator. It also looked to me like he still needed a day or two in the Bator? Like he wasn't 100% ready to come out.

Back
Top Bottom